Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

One terabyte Hitachi external hard drive not recognized

Last response: in Storage
Share
January 31, 2011 10:02:14 PM

I own this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-SimpleDrivell-Turbo-Exter...

I have had it for over a year and it has worked great. But now my computer won't recognize the drive. The hard drive spins up and the light flashes indicating it is turned on and connected to the computer. Device manager shows that drive is active and running fine.

But in my computer, the drive doesn't show. It showed once after I rebooted the computer and I could access my files for a little bit. But then it stopped showing up.

How do I fix this? Obviously the drive isn't dead.

I tried plugging the USB cord in different sockets and nothing changed. I also tried a different, brand new USB cable and same problem.

The HD does NOT show up in Computer Management. Someone suggested the drive has not been initialized or something but it is not listed there.



Hello,
a b G Storage
January 31, 2011 11:58:31 PM

Does it have a drive letter assigned in disk management? If not right click on it and try to assign a drive letter.
m
0
l
February 1, 2011 1:00:16 AM

The hard drive isn't listed in disk management, only device manager.

What is going on? I really need to access my files!
m
0
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
February 1, 2011 2:47:26 AM

Try it on another computer.

You can also try to extract the drive from the enclosure and connect it directly to a SATA port. Note this will void your warranty.
m
0
l
February 1, 2011 5:31:40 AM

Okay so it works on my laptop!

I plugged the external into my laptop - that i never use - and it recognized the drive immediately! Why didn't I think of that??

So, why is my computer not recognizing the external drive? what is wrong with it? do i need to make another thread?!
m
0
l
a b G Storage
February 1, 2011 3:51:29 PM

My guess is that you are seeing an intermittent failure with the USB controller card in the enclosure, possibly a loose connector.

I would back up your data while you can.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
February 1, 2011 4:37:06 PM

My guess is that you are seeing an intermittent failure with the USB controller card in the enclosure, possibly a loose connector.

I would back up your data while you can.
m
0
l
February 1, 2011 10:52:26 PM

What does that mean? In plain english please.

Is there something wrong with my external hard drive or not?
m
0
l
a b G Storage
February 1, 2011 11:27:53 PM

Inside your Hitachi enclosure there is a hard drive that uses a SATA connection.
Outside your Hitachi enclosure there is a USB connection.
Inside your Hitachi enclosure there is a small printed circuit board that translates SATA to USB. That's where the problem may be.

The problem could also be with your computer. Plug another USB device into your computer. Same problem?

You will need to do the trouble shooting to determine if there is a problem with your drive.

However all drives fail eventually. If you care about your data then make backups.



m
0
l
February 1, 2011 11:41:51 PM

But I said before the hitachi drive works fine with my laptop. My desktop recognizes the drive but it does not show up in my computer, only device manager.

ipod and other USB-related devices are recognized.

What would be wrong with my computer? Is there a problem with the external drive or not?>
m
0
l
July 3, 2011 3:15:42 PM

FreeDataRecovery said:
Try it on another computer.

You can also try to extract the drive from the enclosure and connect it directly to a SATA port. Note this will void your warranty.


I am having the same problem, my hitatchi storage device is not recognized on my computer, but is in my device manager. i plugged it in to my other computer and it is still not recognized... what else can i do?
m
0
l
July 15, 2011 11:44:36 PM

greenzero said:

What would be wrong with my computer? Is there a problem with the external drive or not?


Yes the problem is most likely with your external hard drive. When the USB connections start to fail, it can intermittently work or it may work on one computer but not another. If you can plug a different USB device into your desktop and it works, then the problem is with your external hard drive.

avidmer20 said:
I am having the same problem, my hitatchi storage device is not recognized on my computer, but is in my device manager. i plugged it in to my other computer and it is still not recognized... what else can i do?


You probably have the same problem... the connection on your external drive is bad.

The only way to fix it is to have someone repair the external hard drive connection, or just open it up and take the hard drive out of it. I've had this happen to me with a Hitachi drive, and i just opened it and took the hard drive out.

If you want to open it... there should be a few screw holes (usually behind a 'void if removed' sticker) on the back. Remove those and slip the cover off. Inside will probably be a few more screws... remove them until you uncover the hard drive. Disconnect the cables on the hard drive, and then you can put it in your pc like a normal hard drive.

If you still want to be able to use it through a USB port, you will either have to get it repaired, or buy another external hard drive enclosure ($10-15) and put the hard drive in it.
m
0
l
August 17, 2011 4:58:04 PM

tireshark said:
Yes the problem is most likely with your external hard drive. When the USB connections start to fail, it can intermittently work or it may work on one computer but not another. If you can plug a different USB device into your desktop and it works, then the problem is with your external hard drive.



You probably have the same problem... the connection on your external drive is bad.

The only way to fix it is to have someone repair the external hard drive connection, or just open it up and take the hard drive out of it. I've had this happen to me with a Hitachi drive, and i just opened it and took the hard drive out.

If you want to open it... there should be a few screw holes (usually behind a 'void if removed' sticker) on the back. Remove those and slip the cover off. Inside will probably be a few more screws... remove them until you uncover the hard drive. Disconnect the cables on the hard drive, and then you can put it in your pc like a normal hard drive.

If you still want to be able to use it through a USB port, you will either have to get it repaired, or buy another external hard drive enclosure ($10-15) and put the hard drive in it.





----> i am having the same problem. it works on my other laptop though. and i know its not the USB ports on this laptop because other things work in these same ports. What can i do?
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 1, 2012 10:00:19 PM

I know it's a slight digression but I recently purchased a 1TB Hitachi Simple Drive Rev.3 & copied all my "important stuff" onto it for safe-keeping. However, after only a couple of weeks it ceased to work. It would power up, the blue light would come on & the drive would spin, but it would not be recognised by any PC.
I thought I had 2 options:
1) To send it off to a professional data retrieval company (at a high price!!!); or
2) Return it to Hitachi, under warranty (Which would give me a new drive, but I'd lose all my important data).

I did notice that the Hitachi's USB port did seem a bit loose and knowing that my data was more important than a new drive, I voided my warranty &, putting a screw-driver into the small hole between the unit's power point & USB port, I prised the unit open - as gently as possible.

A couple of minutes later, I'd removed all screws from the cradle holding the hard-drive in place, connected appropriate SATA cables to it & connected it to my PC... & it's as good as new.

I hope this information is of use to anybody else who encounters similar problems.

Best wishes,

Mark Crawshaw,
Leeds
m
0
l
April 20, 2012 10:58:58 PM

Quote:
I know it's a slight digression but I recently purchased a 1TB Hitachi Simple Drive Rev.3 & copied all my "important stuff" onto it for safe-keeping. However, after only a couple of weeks it ceased to work. It would power up, the blue light would come on & the drive would spin, but it would not be recognised by any PC.
I thought I had 2 options:
1) To send it off to a professional data retrieval company (at a high price!!!); or
2) Return it to Hitachi, under warranty (Which would give me a new drive, but I'd lose all my important data).

I did notice that the Hitachi's USB port did seem a bit loose and knowing that my data was more important than a new drive, I voided my warranty &, putting a screw-driver into the small hole between the unit's power point & USB port, I prised the unit open - as gently as possible.

A couple of minutes later, I'd removed all screws from the cradle holding the hard-drive in place, connected appropriate SATA cables to it & connected it to my PC... & it's as good as new.

I hope this information is of use to anybody else who encounters similar problems.

Best wishes,

Mark Crawshaw,
Leeds



Hi Mark
I am having the same problem.
I have connected the SATA cable but it is giving me error 43. USB not recognised.
Can you suggest any option?
Thanks.
manjusha.rathi@tesco.net
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 5:57:04 PM

Check your mini usb cable.

Unplug your mini usb cable from the harddrive while connect it with the computer. If the computer still gets signal from the harddrive it indicates cable malfunction.

Replace cable should fix the problem.
m
0
l
February 22, 2013 10:18:57 PM

This same thing is happening with my brand new 2TB Hitachi Touro Desk and i tried it on a mac 2 windows 7 pc's and a linux ubuntu computer no luck any help for my end
m
0
l
!