RAM -> Speed vs Latency vs Voltage

DeeTee_79

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
So I read a lot of comments saying there is virtually no difference between 800Mhz and 1066MHz unless you will be OCing, but what if you are OCing?
If you're planning to raise your FSB above 400MHz is 1066 then the better choice?

As a novice, the advice seems to be "go for the lower latency, it's better for OCing" - how so? I can understand that tighter timings means more bandwidth, but what is the relevance to OCing?
If you weren't OCing would it be better to buy higher latency RAM?

Voltage. The advice seems to suggest that going for less voltage is better, i.e. better quality RAM, but then I read review comments on reseller websites saying for RAM that is sold at say 1.8v which say: "I'm now running this at 2.1v". Whats the deal with low voltage RAM and why then increase it once it's in an OCing environment?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Well if by Bandwidth you mean transfer/frequency then no, more bandwidth usually results in slower timings. Thats why tight timings are important for overclocking because if you increase frequency, then timings start to slow down so the lower they are the better. Voltage you will have to have another poster answer as I am not totally sure about how that works yet.

Let me say, "There ain't no such thing as DDR2-1066 RAM." Got your attention now, yes? :)

DDR2-1066 RAM is simply DDR2-800 RAM that has been tested to run at the higher speed, usually at an increased voltage and more relaxed timings.

Any good DDR2-800 RAM will run at 1066 speeds under those conditions.

Timing - 4 CL @ 800 MHz is the same as 5 CL @1000 MHz (or 1066 MHz for all practical purposes) or 5 nanosecs.

Voltage - Increasing core voltage helps a CPU run faster. Memory works the same.

TRENDING THREADS