Sign in with
Your question

Heat Issue? Temp monitoring

Last response: in Motherboards
November 20, 2009 1:59:58 PM

Hi Everyone,
I have been having an issue with my PC that I believe to be a heat problem. When playing certain new, high-performance games my system will usually completely shut off after some time. This is a complete shut down, not a freeze or a game crashing; it's as if someone suddenly pulled the power.

My system:
GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard -
EVGA 512-P3-N862-AR GeForce 9600GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 Brisbane 2.9GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5600DOBOX
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK

I have ruled out the video card (at least in terms of it being a heat issue.) I downloaded nTune and monitored the GPU temp while playing Dragonage last night. It lasted about 20 min, and I never saw the GPU temp above 50c, yet still it crashed.

So I'm wondering first, would you agree this sounds like a heat issue? Second, can you recommend some software that I could use to monitor the temps of other components. I have been told it may be the northbridge or southbridge overheating, but I'm not sure how to confirm that.

I appreciate your help greatly.

(p.s. sorry if I didn't pick the correct categories for this thread)
November 21, 2009 4:56:35 PM

I did a little homework:

I downloaded SpeedFan and ran a test. My idle temps are

GPU: 43c
Temp1: 26c
Temp2: 31c
Temp3: 80c
HD0: 23c
Core: 10c
Core: 43c
Ambient: 0c

After playing Dragon Age: Origins for about 20 minutes, my system shut off. The last temps I logged were:

GPU: 66c
Temp1: 37c
Temp2: 105c
Temp3: 118c
HD0: 34c
Core: 76c
Core: 66c
Ambient: 0c

I did a little looking around as to what some of these temps are reading. I have heard that the Temp3 reading is erroneous. I have heard the Temp2 is my CPU. I have looked around at safe operating temps for my CPU and I'm seeing temps below 70c. GPU looks ok I think. Not sure what the first Core reading is. I think the second Core has something to do with my graphics card; they always read the same temp.

So what I thought was originally a northbridge or southbridge issue is actually a CPU issue. Do you agree with that conclusion?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2009 4:13:45 PM

Yes something is wrong, not sure about coretests menu but typically the three temps measured are Chipset, Cpu at the mount, PWM.
The cpu is going to take a dive somewhere around 65-75c.
The order of items is not consistant I've read, dependent on possibly the IT sensor chip or construction.
I'm going with temp 3 is killing something, maybe the PWM controller for voltage.
Look in bios to see what the voltages are on boot as well as temps, try resetting bios to optimized defaults and look again.
If everything is still too high suspect power supply or pwm circuit.
!