My System Won't Power

Mustangey

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Ok at first i thought it was the power supply causing troubles so i upgraded to a pc power and cooling 750 watt. I was excited when it got here, but alas My system still will not boot I can't figure out the problem. This is my first build however. I am sure i probably forgot something Haha. My specs are as follows.

PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V

XFX GeForce 9800 GX2 Xtreme 1GB PCIe

G.SKILL 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-3GBNQ

Intel Core i7-920 2.66Ghz 8M LGA1366 CPU

Asus P6T-Deluxe Intel X58 Socket LGA1366

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Any ideas what the problem is, has anyone else had it not power? The psu fan won't even come on i have both the main connectors plugged into the mother board... I can't figure it out at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Mustangey

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
yes, done everything except 18, which i dont know what that is but doesnt seem like it would work without powering in the first place, and 19 not intergrated.

If you have really checked all that, and you are not getting ANY signs of power to the board at all, then the board must be completely toast.

Absolutely nothing happens when you hit the power button on the case? no sounds, no hums, nothing?

I've seen boards (almost always recycled boards, but a couple of new ones as well) that refused to POST until the CMOS was reset. In your motherboard manual, there will be an image showing the location of the CMOS reset pins. Jump these pins with something conductive (MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG THE POWER CORD BEFORE DOING THIS) for a few seconds. Alternatively, you can pull out the CMOS battery (located at the top right corner of your board, mounted vertically) for a few minutes (again, with the power cord unplugged). If the system still refuses to POST, the board will likely need to be RMA'd.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Many people make the mistake of putting the ram in the wrong channel on the i7. If you don't put the ram in the right channel, you won't boot. RTM.

If absolutely nothing happens when you hit the power switch, then you have a couple possible problems:
1. Power/reset button on your case is DOA, and needs to be replaced
2. Your MB is toast, and needs to be replaced
3. You were unfortunate enough to get two DOA PSU's in a row, but this is highly unlikely, and even if the PSU was faulty you would likely get a twitch or something out of the fans or a flick of lights before the PSU shut itself down.

If you really want us to help you out, you need to provide more details.

1. Are any of your build components recycled from past builds, and how old if they are
2. Give a play by play of what happens when you push the power button. Tell us any noises, lights, fan twitches ect that happens. Giving as many details as possible will help us figure it out.

Mustangey

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Ok i just reset the cosmos,

@ the kid, these were all new parts. Also absolutely nothing happens when i push the power button, no noise nada. So ye...

I might have plugged something in wrong or missed something but thats very unlikely, and unfortunately I just got the money for the psu. So the RMA is over on the motherboard if that is the case, I don't really know what else to do any other suggestions?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Read the motherboard manual to make absolutely sure you didn't forget anything, like plugging in the CPU power connector or something...or the case power switch...or turned on the PSU.

Mustangey

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
i think the mother board just arrived dead... But thankfully asus has an awesome 3 year warranty on their motherboards...... so ye lol i guess ill just go that way with it.

Stupid question: Is the wall plu you are using live?

Does the paperclip trick work? Disconnect the main power plug from the motherboard. Momentarily short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires. The PSU fan should turn on. If it doesn't, the PSU is toast. Keep in mind that even if the fan does turn on, it's a neglible load and the PSU still may be toast.

Mustangey

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
I tried booting outside the case before and nada, also i really doubt its the psu unless im unfortuante to get 3 dead psu's in a row 2 zephyrs maybe, but a pc power and cooling i dont think its the psu. So i'm thinking the mb what about you?