Sign in with
Your question

PC Data Transfer rates

Last response: in Storage
February 1, 2011 12:34:41 PM

Hello,
I'm trying to find a ball park figure for how much data a PC can transfer per second.

A z9 Mainframe can move 178GB per second into/out of memory (the actual IO rates are in excess of 2.7GB per channel and we have up to 1,024 channels).

Would there be a PC equivalent?

IE - If we hooked a PC upto an IBM DSS8000, what sort of I/O rates could it handle.

Many Thanks.

More about : data transfer rates

February 1, 2011 12:37:54 PM

Sorry - Should have added - This is for a Mainframe Hardware course. I was hoping to allow the delegates to compare it with something they are familiar with.

regards
a c 289 G Storage
February 1, 2011 1:40:56 PM

By my reading, there are two different questions there.

One is how much data a PC can move between memory and the CPU per second (into/out of memory). You can look at any benchmark article on this site and read the synthetic memory tests to see this. For example, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p67-motherboard-rou... . Hey, they didn't put units on the SiSoft Sandra memory bandwidth chart. Oh, well. I think it's GB/Sec. That gives a top reasonable memory transfer rate of 21 GB/Sec, if this answers your question.

A hugely different question is "If we hooked a PC up to an IBM DSS8000, what sort of I/O rates could it handle. " The answer to this question depends entirely on what sort of communication channel you use to connect the two. Connect them with a usb cable; get slow data transfer.

OK, I looked up the IBM DSS8000 - it would have helped if you said what the blessed thing is. Assuming that I correctly identified it as some kind of disk storage array, the max rate at which a PC moves data to/from arrays depends on the storage interface more than anything else. So would your question be answered if we found the fastest that a PC can communicate with an external device and push the data onto the internal bus in a useful manner? Or have I missed the point yet again?
Related resources
February 1, 2011 6:29:40 PM

Thx for getting back to me.

No, you probably didn't miss the point. Way more likely that my query was way too vague. Yes, an IBM DSS8000 is a 200 TB monster. In a typical Banking (my field) datacenter, they'll have a few of these (or equivalents).

I'm sad to say my PC skills are somewhere near zero so when the Software company that employed me, asked me to give a presentation regarding Z series mainframes, I was trying to find a way to make a comparison to something they see every day (their home PC).

On the mainframe, we can hook up 1,024 channels each with a capacity of 10 Gb (not GB) per second. bi-directional over fiber (A FICON Channel). The channels then hook up to the processor books via the MBA and STI's. At that point we can switch 178 GB (not Gb) per sec into memory.

Realistically, all I'm looking for is a Ballpark figure of what a PC can handle from Disk to memory. Don't really know how to phrase that in PC speak so apologies if I'm confusing the issue by talking about hooking a PC up to a DSS8000.

Basically, what would be a typical I/O rate (per second) on an average PC you'd buy from PC World (or Home Depot).

Many thx,

Ouch...
a c 289 G Storage
February 1, 2011 7:07:27 PM

Typical I/O rate per second in the range of 100 to 120 MB/Sec for serial reads. Random reads and reads of varying sizes follow a more important measure of IO operations per second.

If one wants to spend a lot, the fastest single disklike thing that you can buy is something like this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ocz-revodrive-x2-pc...
550 or so MB/sec.

To be a fair comparison, one would have to buy something the size of the DSS8000 and see how fast data could be pumped from it to the PC. I'm going to make a flaming guess that right now you couldn't do better than Infiniband. A 1X channel tops out at a theoretical 25 Gigabit/second. A 12x channel at 300 Gigabits/second. But we couldn't push the data over the bus inside the machine that fast; the number of memory channels is fixed, so the top, top for a PC would be the above memory limit of 21 Gigabtyes / sec.

Realistically, the PC will top out at the speed of a decent Solid State drive, about 250 MBytes / second
February 1, 2011 8:10:40 PM

Thanks Wyoming.

Shows what an old dino I am (30 years in Big Iron) as I'm well impressed with that. That's 1/2 GB per second if you want to spend the cash. I was expecting a much lower number. But then again, the systems I started on would fit on a phone some 100 times over nowadays.

Will use the 100-120 MB/Sec as I suspect most delegates will have stabdard off the shelf PC's.

All my slides have a disclaimer........

Actual Mileage may vary, may contain nuts, no warranty implied or inferred.....etc. And I'll make it very clear up front that I know nada about PC's (as will become instantly apparent if they ask more than a basic question).. It's the only reference to PC's in 16 slides so hopefully, I'll get away with it.

Thanks again.
!