Last response: in Components

Better power supply for silence

Total: 8 votes (1 blank vote)

• Corsair HX620
  • 43 %
  • Corsair HX750
  • 58 %
September 2, 2009 4:38:31 PM

Hello folks, at this point in time I am trying to fine tune my list for my new pc. My question is, aside from the obvious wattage difference, what is the better power supply from Corsair? Please vote and comment.

More about : power supply

a c 248 ) Power supply
September 2, 2009 5:08:11 PM

Here's a list of recommended power supplies over at silentpcreview.com

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

I have the Corsair HX620. I bought it a few years ago. At the time I did not know it was considered to be a relatively quiet power supply.
a c 144 ) Power supply
September 2, 2009 9:32:30 PM

To make a recommendation for a PSU for a particular system, we need specs.

I have a Corsair TX750 and two Antecs (550 and 650 watts).
Related resources
September 2, 2009 9:45:13 PM

Well, actually I was just wondering which one was quieter. But my specs I have planned are as follows:

- Lancool K62 case
- AMD Phenom II X3 720
- ASUS M4A79XTD
- G Skill Cas 8 DDR3 4gb ram 1333mhz (for now)
- WD 640 Black 7200RPM SATA 32mb cache (had picked the samsung f3 500gb previously)
- Trying to choose what 4870 card I want as I dont want to go up to a 4890 due to the release of the 5xxx series shortly (so if anyone can spout out a good 4870 card as well)

Anyway, due to case size k62 being a midtower i dont want to go anything but modular and i know corsair is possibly THE psu brand to buy. I do want to keep this pricing as low as possible but at the same time with great performance and headroom

a b ) Power supply
September 2, 2009 10:07:59 PM

Hah, a Phenom in a K 6 2 :D . Yeah you've been into computing way to long if you find that funny.

Anyway I would assume that the HX750 would run quieter at the same load since it your system would be using a lower percentage of what the PSU was capable of compared to the HX620. You should check some PSU roundups though to see if there are significant differences in decibel levels at a set load, not their max load.
September 2, 2009 10:14:06 PM

hmmmm i may be a little confused about that first statement megaman lol. joke?
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 2, 2009 10:35:46 PM

megamanx00 said:
Hah, a Phenom in a K 6 2 :D . Yeah you've been into computing way to long if you find that funny.

Anyway I would assume that the HX750 would run quieter at the same load since it your system would be using a lower percentage of what the PSU was capable of compared to the HX620. You should check some PSU roundups though to see if there are significant differences in decibel levels at a set load, not their max load.

Ouch , K62 was my first :) 
And +1
a c 248 ) Power supply
September 2, 2009 10:38:47 PM

leftythrillz - yes, it is joke about the acronym. The only I reason I got the joke is because I bought my first pc in 1984. megamanx00 was referring to the old AMD-K-62 cpu that AMD brought out way back in 1998.

Anyway, funny you mentioned the Lancool Dragon Lord PC-K62. For my next project I am seriously think about getting the PC-K60 without the side window. It looks like it has great potential.
September 2, 2009 10:54:33 PM

ohhh yes thats why i didnt get it lol. i was not yet in the computer universe yet as we got our first in 2000-2001 was worried that was going over my head lol.

but yea i have been mulling over whether to bite the bullet on the k62 or get a bigger case as i was and still am worried about the size but cant argue with the price and quality of lian li products (though lancool is not same material still quality made by lian li). i also like a window to show off the goods.

lastly as to get back onto topic i think ill be going for the hx750 for future proofing and as to not press boundaries with the hw.
a b ) Power supply
September 2, 2009 11:03:11 PM

For future proofing: 750HX
else 620HX
!