CD\DVD Rom gone on Windows Vista

klr257

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I don't know whether to woek on a sound card, or recover my other partition, I am not an experieced person on computers need it just spelled out I guess, I've been trying to correct this since July 2010. HELP me, Please
thanks so much klr257 I have windows vista home basic the code it is giving me is (code 9) Back-up isn't working neither is Updates.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hi...I wish I could help,but I think there was not enough effort put into the whole of the Vista operating system types e.g. vista prenium,vista ultimate etc...The so called fixs or updates for vista like SP 1 & SP 2 did not do nothing much for my computer with vista ultimate SP1,updated to SP 2 which I loaded on from a CD disc I ordered online through eBay...Also I did down load the latest bios plus drivers through another computer I have that is online which was only several weeks old & only just put online for a day or so...The reason why I am saying this is because my vista ultimate SP 1 computer is totally off line or off the internet...The only contact with the outside world was through these SP 2 update & bios,drivers updated by burning the bios & drivers onto a CD rom or CD disc & installing them onto my vista PC...I noticed that my ram meter showed a higher reading and my cpu meter went up also in it's reading and this PC is off line...Only from two CD's worth of stuff caused this violent upsurge of ram & cpu readings...The SP2 I installed took away the ability to close my Welcome Center via the organize tab or drop down tab...Now it closes only by the little X on the top right hand corner...Also it gave my operating system the ability to view the overclocked rate in MHz in the View computer details from the Welcome Center area & before the SP2 update I could not see it...Beware though,after having this SP2 on for around 6 months now on a computer that is only 12 months going onto 13 months now,I have lost the ability to see this overclocked rate in MHz within the welcome center in the view computer details...I have to go to the bios via pressing delete or just by reading quickly before the the system boots and just after when pressing the delete key during the Asus motherboard show of it's wallpaper just at the start of booting up...Athough I admit I have loaded on Mavis Beacon's learn touch typing,hoyles board and card games,Dr Penny Addams Brain Trainer,Professor Teaches Windows Vista Ultimate,Call of Juarez and the new Aliens vs Predator game which does not work because you have to be online for that game...These I had already installed before installing SP2 & updating the bios and drivers and they where normal with no abnormal sign of ram or cpu meter readings...After installing the SP2 & updates for drivers and bios is when I seen trouble...Although I thought the bios was very close to normal,but the drivers where making the ram meter show higher readings & the cpu meter was more eratic...This Vista Ultimate SP1 I have is retail boxed edition...On the first Vista I had online was my Retail Boxed Vista Home Prenium without a service pack...Before going online with that it showed O.K. meter readings & after going online I was choka block full of internet gear spying on me...My ram was OCZ 2 x 1 GB sticks and my ram showed way up above 50%...In fact as far as I can remember it was between 55% and 75% on average online...Now with my offline vista ulitmate sp2 the meter now reads 25%,sometimes it does go down to 24%,but not often at all...It used to show down to 22% on average with again two new sticks of OCZ ram,2 x 1 GB...After installing all software it would be around 23%,but sometimes would go down to 22% with the cpu reading not so eratic...Now after the SP2 & bios,driver updates is more eratic...Now I know I have gone on about nothing really important,but it does show the weakness of the Vista operating system...Anyway if all goes bad I would if I was you use this for online browsing only and either by an XP Pro or Home retail boxed operating system online through eBay and use this for all applications that you need stability and use your vista or windows 7 for browsing online line...You may think it is too much money to spend,but at least you can have a safe offline PC for application software & use your vista for online browsing for those unsafe internet world although XP operating system is considered a stronger one by me for online use...Sorry that I could not be of any real help,but I though I would share my vista problems with you...Bye Bye...

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hi once again...Some other thing I forgot to add is that my computer area shows that I have a floppy drive from the start to now still,but yet I have no floppy drive at all hooked on to my offline PC which is Vista Ultimate SP2...