Sign in with
Your question

Best motherboard to buy at a physical store for i7-920 and HD5970?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 20, 2009 4:49:38 PM

I am buying components for a build today (don't want to wait for shipping), so I'm wondering what kind of motherboard I should get from a physical store (best buy, fry's, etc.?).

I currently have the HD5970 sitting in an unopened box and am going to buy the i7-920. I may want to get another 5970 in the future for crossfire, but I definitely have no need to get three cards running at the same time. I also want 6GB of triple channel RAM, with room to upgrade to 12GB down the road.

What is the most cost effective board to buy? I don't want to sacrifice too much performance, but cost is a very big issue and most x58 motherboards with at least two slots for videocards don't seem to be that much different at all :heink: 

Please help this noob out (this is my first build) :hello: 
a b V Motherboard
November 20, 2009 5:16:18 PM

ckim2116 said:
I am buying components for a build today (don't want to wait for shipping), so I'm wondering what kind of motherboard I should get from a physical store (best buy, fry's, etc.?)...What is the most cost effective board to buy?
It's really difficult to offer any specific mobo recommendations from a brick-and-mortar retailer without knowing what they have in stock and at what prices. Perhaps you could do some leg work and find out what mobos your particular retailer has on the shelves and then list them to solicit feedback from the forums.

If you wanted to purchase from a online retailer, well then, the choices are plenty! Just reply with whatever online retailer ytou want to use and you will certainly get some recommendations.
m
l
November 20, 2009 5:36:58 PM

asus p6t ;)  but u wanna cheaper one . it can be msi x58 pro .
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2009 6:24:15 PM

I suggest that you will have better luck going online and ordering than going to a retail outlet. I have looked at the outlets like Best Buy and others and find that their stock many times is outdated and/or limited. If you want it quick you can have it overnighted. The other morning I placed an order with NewEgg for a Antec 1200 case and it was at my doorstep the next day without any special shipping request. Believe me NewEgg is fast.

As for my suggestion I would recommend the EVGA E758-A1 MOBO. My suggestion is based more on cost, its features meet my needs, reviews and advise I have received on this website. I have not yet purchased it because I believe we are going to see some price drops going into the Christmas season and I want to get the best bang for the buck. Anyway that is my two cents worth.
m
l
a c 217 V Motherboard
November 20, 2009 6:44:01 PM

If big time into OC'ing .... Asus Rampage II Extreme ....Asus P6T V2 would be next on the list....twin 5970's will more than suffice for any resolution but it won't get you PhysX .... before you throw off consideration of 3 slots, if you want to enjoy those features, gotta throw a nVidia card in there and do the dual driver patch for Win7.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/batman-arkham-asylu...
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-ATI-physx-patch...
m
l
!