Recovering data from dead iomega networked media storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgzuck

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
1TB Iomega networked media drive not being recognized -- really need to recover files on HD before backing my car over this new paper weight. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

sgzuck

Eccolabambina

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

Hi! I am having the exact same problem and the disk utility (i put one of the two disks into my mac pro - PPC)
as a second device and it can sort of mount the primary but not the secondary. - But it can see the labels of both in disk utility.

I am going to try mounting via USB Cable tomorrow. (the Enclosure I had was a FW 400/800) but the disks are SATA....

Any ideas? I am using OS 10.5 on the PPC and have also got a laptop MB 10.6 - but the unibody one sans
the FW Plug... so I could try and mount with the connector cable (we have one at work)

Any hints or ideas would be greatly appreciated - the data was my only backup... :( (Photos that I have no copies of, Films---- hundreds of.... - Private Documents....) 2Tb...

I have access to Linux machines, Macs, WIndows mAchines all of the likes. I could mount via other OS if that might make a difference?

TomBuy

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I also have the problem:

My IOMEGA drive is a '500GB Select Portable Hard Drive USB 2.0'. I use it on Mac OSX. The drive does not mount, but is detected in Diskutility. It spins (makes noise), but doesn't do anything else. The LED on the back flashes the whole time, indicating it is constantly 'searching' or doing something.

According to what I found out, there is a problem with the controller. Is there anything you could do? I contacted Iomega, but they don't provide data recovery. Their partner (subsidiary) charges around 1200 euro for it! (1500 dollar)

It would be great if somebody can give useful tips or ideas.

Cheers,

Tom

lucprov

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

I had the same problem with my Iomega 1 terabyte version. I was able to recover all my data (mostly) by loading the drive into Ubuntu linux. (dual booting). The same could be accomplished by using a "Boot from CD/DVD Linux Distro". The drive was being reported as "imminent failure" from the S.M.A.R.T monitoring. In order to do this, you need to remove the drive from it's casing and connected it directly to the computer. (S.M.A.R.T monitoring does not work over network, the drive need to be attached directly) Iomega uses a Linux OS on the drive to operate the Network Drive. You will not see the partitions from Windows as it does not recognize linux partition.

Once I recovered my data, I purchase another disk and was able to rebuild the functionality of the network drive by following the instructions at: http://iomega.nas-central.org/w/index.php?title=Installing_firmware_on_a_new_disk_(Home_Media)

You can't simply swap the drive as the new disk needs to be formatted with Linux partitions and the firmware OS has to be installed in order for the drive to operate on the network.

In my internet research I found this to be a common issue. I see that Iomega uses a Segate 1 terabute drive which is known to be fast but still uses the older technology where the heads park on the disk when powered off.

Hope this help.

Luc

neymish

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Iomega 500gb network drive
when it pluged in it flashes white and red alternating.
i have removed the drive from the enclosure and connected it to a pc through sata and it is not recognised in windows or ubuntu. I can see the drive in bios but cannot mount it or do anything with it as doesnt show up in my computer. I have put a pic of what info i have found through ubuntu about the drive through disk utility . I have read up so much about this and none of it seems to work HELP please!!
Link to pic of info of my drive :
photo.jpg

email : ish69er@hotmail.com

jasep

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
i have the same problem to, there must be a regular fault, did you get it sorted out? Help i have lost my data, i was thinking of buying another one and switching the drives

cche

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Hi Luc,
I have the same 1 TB Home Network Drive failure. I found that your posting is very encouraging which I will attempt to recover the data myself.
However, I only have laptop at home.

Question:To do the direct hard drive connection, wouldn't I need to have a desktop with a SATA Hard Drive connector available to hook up to the 'dead Iomega HD'?

please share if there is other option.
thank you in advance
CChe

cche

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks to Luc's post, I have recovered the data from the Iomega Home Network drive.
I think more people may want to know how to do it, and here is the sharing:

- the key to the recovery is that the drive is using Linux filesystem, the data is not lost and the drive is still functional (just the NAS operating system is malfunction).

Tool that you need:
- Ubuntu CD to boot the laptop to run Linux
- Sabrent SATA-C35U Serial ATA to USB 2.0 Cable Converter Adapter with Power Supply

How:
- boot the laptop with the Ubuntu CD
- connect the Iomega drive with the Sabrent USB converter
- connect the USB and the new Filesystem should be automatically mounted and show up in the home folder.

Good luck.
CChe

G

I tried all that, but the disc refused to be mounted under Linux connected directly to pc booted from a live linux cd...is that the end of the road????

Gwyneth Llewelyn

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

This worked flawlessly for me. Thank you very much.

I was anticipating a lot of problems with mounting the drive under Linux etc., and the wiki page even mentions that the system might throw a lot of symbolic link errors, but in my case, I had no problems whatsoever.

The Iomega NAS booted into 2.064 after a more-than-usually-long time (probably precisely the same time as on the day I bought it) but soon it came up fully operational, let me upgrade it to 2.104 (currently the latest version of the firmware) and it continued to run smoothly afterwards.

In fact, it's even working better as before. I had some troubles with getting my Macs to mount shares using AFP (Apple's native file sharing protocol, also known as "netatalk" in the Unix world) before the disk crashed. The new disk with the software freshly installed has absolutely no problems with AFP shares. In seconds I was using it as a Time Machine for both my Macs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.