OLD CPU comparison - which should I use?

Which CPU would you run on an old, secondary computer?

• Celeron D 352 3.2ghz (Cedar Mill core)

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Pentium 4 2.0A 2.0ghz (Northwood core)

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

diznanl

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I have a couple of old computers I want to combine into one.

Which CPU would you go for?

Celeron D 352 3.2 (Cedar Mill core) --- in an eMachine case

or

Pentium 4 2.0A 2.0ghz (Northwood core) --- in a Dell case

I know the Celeron D is newer, but the P4 can handle multitasking. I'm not looking to play games... just have another computer around to network / store crap.

Thanks for your help!

ulysses35

Distinguished
Northwood P4's where known for good over clocking ability, but that Celeron running at 3.2 ghz is going to be hard to topple in mhz.

I have a Celeron D in the bog standard office pc and it does the job well considering the lost cost.

The Celeron D 3.2 GHz would be faster. It has 256k of cache (as opposed to the crippling 128k in the old Celeron) which is just enough to make it useful. The P4 would have to run around 2.9 or so to compete especially since it's one of the earlier ones with the slower FSB and I'm assuming 512k of cache.

diznanl

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Done a bit of checking up on the overclockablility of the P4s. That's sitting on a dell motherboard. That'd limit me pretty good, unless I can use ClockGen PLL or similar software. Celeron D is kind of junk... I'm just still not sure because the P4 is just damn old. Any more ideas guys?

diznanl

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

If I DIDN'T do the mod, which CPU would you suggest?

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Wow, a lot of FUD in this thread so let's clear it up: The Celeron D 352 a 3.2GHz, 533 fsb Cedarmill CPU with 512KB L2 cache and socket 775 as newf stated above. The p4 is a 2.0 GHz, 400 fsb, C1 stepping northwood core with 512KB L2 cache on the antiquated socket 478. The P4 does not have hyperthreading, and can only reach a 2.66GHz speed with pinmod. The Cedermill Celeron, on the other hand, would upright kick the snot out of that old P4. It is a known overclocker, and can do 4.8GHz/800 fsb with just a couple pin mods. Thanks to it's 65nm design, the Celeron has an acceptable TDP, with C1 revisions being only 65 watt. Finally, the Celeron offers more advanced features, such as SSE3, xbit, and 64 bit capability. The fact that it is on LGA 775 means there is a good chance that the chipset inside that Emachine will also support Pentium D processors for a future upgrade.

Why anyone here would even think about choosing the P4 over the Celeron, can only be because they don't have a flippin clue about the CPUs being discussed, and instead are relying on their (incorrect) knee-jerk reactions.

diznanl

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

Thanks JoeFriday. Nail in the coffin for the P4... I'll be using the celery.

diznanl

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

I've never done a pin-mod. I might try clockgen first. BSEL mod + vmod looks a little bit daunting. I did some searches but can't find the right pins to clip/cover. Any idea where I can find these?

Go celery :sol:

G

Why mod it ot overclock if its for general use and storage, it will be fast enough for internet browsing, file sharing and the likes, keep it stock and stable

diznanl

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

Excellent point... but I want to play with it a bit. Nothing to extreme.

I updated to the latest INTEL bios for the D101GGC (vs the eMachines one). Didn't give me any new options to up the FSB, but the memory clock is still at 400mhz.

Will proably leave it, but will try clockgen to get it up a little bit.

danceatronica

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
ok bro here we go.....take er slow as doin this will fry ur comp if ur not careful.....

i have an emachines t3504

specs are:
2 gigs ram (mushkin pc 3200 set to 3-3-3-8)
intel celery d 352 series (3.2 ghz)
nvidia geforce 9800 gt on pci-e
................................................................................................................

i use a program called SYSTOOL u can google it....
install the software...... i tried this with even p4's , duals and quads
once running the software go to cpu overclocking.....
now remember do this in little incrememnts as big jumps will fry your comp....u have my warning...

1. pick the 4th clock generator down from the top (ics950405)
now u'll c a slider bar a little bit down and it should be blank.
below should be a button that says read.
2. click read...
now it should say 100 on the slider.....
3. move the slider up slowly in increments of 5 so to like 105 or 110(remember to not go in big jumps...)
4. click write...

now it should say that the fsb was set to the # u slided to (just remember this # later kk)

try to do a benchmark in the benchmarking are like memtest.....

****if u get a blue screen or if the comp freezes the cpu overheated and that setting is too high*****

once u found the max stable # set the fsb limit to that and click the checkmark on the left side to save it for future times....
with a little bit of playin around my comp now is ....

celery d @ 4.4 ghz (1.2 ghz increase) runnin with a 735 mhz fsb (air cooling :p)

coolest thing about this is that u can do this all without screwin with ur bios at all

worst thing is that it is still beta so all the features might not be supported if that is the case u will have to do this every time windows is booted before u see the oc results

i hope this helps ne1 with a celery d and want a little more punch and do it with the bios or dont want to play with the bios...

please excuse the length of this post and please be careful :p

GAME ON
Scotty