Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Rebuild RAID 1 Disk after Failure

Last response: in Storage
February 1, 2011 9:22:53 PM

To make a long story short, my RAID system is messed up badly. I have an ASUS P5Q-PRO MOBO with 2 500GB WD SATA drives in RAID 1 configuration. I was near capacity, so I bought a 3rd drive. I wanted to migrate from RAID 1 to RAID 5. I tried using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager windows application to do so, as the user's manual showed that it could be done. However, the option to do so was disabled for me. I tried various things to get it enabled with no success. I can't recall them all, but I didn't think I was doing anything that would alter the disks; that is, I didn't do anything too crazy. Somehow, after I rebooted one time, after going through the setup and the RAID config before loading Windows, I got the error "Reboot and Select proper Boot device". I've spent many hours on it trying to get it repaired and try many things, which I won't go into. The last 2 things that I did before this occurred were that I changed the storage configuration in the BIOS from RAID to AHCI and I started to use the "Reset Disks to Non-RAID" option on the RAID controller to remove one of the disks from the RAID1 set, however, I cancelled out of that after it warned that all data would be erased. I can't remember if I successfully booted after I changed the storage config to AHCI. I think I did, but I'm not certain.

Here's the current status. Disk 1 no longer has any partitions and is a non-RAID disk. Disk 2 is member of the RAID1 set and has good data on it. If I set the storage configuration in the BIOS to IDE (instead of RAID), I can boot to Disk 2. If I put Disk 1 along side Disk 2 (still as IDE), I can see Disk 1, but it has no allocated space (and no partitions). If I put the storage configuration in the BIOS as RAID, I cannot boot. I get the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" error.

Right now I am making a ghost copy of Disk 2 so I've got a safety net.

I can't figure out why I can't boot to Disk 2 when the bios is in RAID mode.

And I can't figure out how to build a new RAID 1 set using what is now DISK 2 as the "master".

Thanks for any help.

Best solution

a b G Storage
February 2, 2011 2:52:55 PM

It would be faster to create a raid 5 disk and ghost to it. If your going to go with raid 5 I would make it a 4 drive set at least, because if it's only 3 and you loose a drive you can't use the drive until you replace the failed drive, with 4 that doesn't happen.
February 2, 2011 2:52:57 PM

donhesse said:
To make a long story short, my RAID system is messed up badly. I have an ASUS P5Q-PRO MOBO with 2 500GB WD SATA drives in RAID 1 configuration. I was near capacity, so I bought a 3rd drive. I wanted to migrate from RAID 1 to RAID 5. I tried using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager windows application to do so, as the user's manual showed that it could be done. However, the option to do so was disabled for me. I tried various things to get it enabled with no success. I can't recall them all, but I didn't think I was doing anything that would alter the disks; that is, I didn't do anything too crazy. Somehow, after I rebooted one time, after going through the setup and the RAID config before loading Windows, I got the error "Reboot and Select proper Boot device". I've spent many hours on it trying to get it repaired and try many things, which I won't go into. The last 2 things that I did before this occurred were that I changed the storage configuration in the BIOS from RAID to AHCI and I started to use the "Reset Disks to Non-RAID" option on the RAID controller to remove one of the disks from the RAID1 set, however, I cancelled out of that after it warned that all data would be erased. I can't remember if I successfully booted after I changed the storage config to AHCI. I think I did, but I'm not certain.

Here's the current status. Disk 1 no longer has any partitions and is a non-RAID disk. Disk 2 is member of the RAID1 set and has good data on it. If I set the storage configuration in the BIOS to IDE (instead of RAID), I can boot to Disk 2. If I put Disk 1 along side Disk 2 (still as IDE), I can see Disk 1, but it has no allocated space (and no partitions). If I put the storage configuration in the BIOS as RAID, I cannot boot. I get the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" error.

Right now I am making a ghost copy of Disk 2 so I've got a safety net.

I can't figure out why I can't boot to Disk 2 when the bios is in RAID mode.

And I can't figure out how to build a new RAID 1 set using what is now DISK 2 as the "master".

Thanks for any help.

hello you will need to get your bios settings back to how they were before. Then it should be as simple as going into the raid setup after boot and choose to rebuild, or repair a raid setup. The good thing is that if you were running raid 1 then you should be able to boot off of just one HD since it was mirrored. If you cant do that then there might be bigger issues.
Related resources
February 2, 2011 3:27:42 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll consider doing that. Problem right now, though, is that I can't get the system to boot under any RAID configuration. I can boot off my good drive if I tell the BIOS that it is IDE, but then I obviously I don't have the option to set up any RAID.

Any idea how to make the drive bootable as RAID without wiping out the data?
February 2, 2011 3:30:25 PM

prelude2250 said:
hello you will need to get your bios settings back to how they were before. Then it should be as simple as going into the raid setup after boot and choose to rebuild, or repair a raid setup. The good thing is that if you were running raid 1 then you should be able to boot off of just one HD since it was mirrored. If you cant do that then there might be bigger issues.

I put the BIOS back to the way it was (RAID), but I get the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" message when the system tries to find a bootable device. I can only boot if the BIOS is set as IDE. Under RAID, both disks are marked as unbootable and in a failed state, although DISK2 really is good. Any idea if there is a tool that can update teh RAID information on the good drive?
February 3, 2011 2:38:36 PM

I resolved my issue. In case someone else has this similar problem (or it happens to me again), this is what I did:

To return my storage to its 2-disk RAID1 mirror without losing data:

I have 3 disk drives. One of the 3 is the 2nd half of my mirror and has good data on it. I'll call this one DISK2. Another is the 1st half of my mirror, but it is no longer a RAID member. I'll call this one DISK0. It has no useable data on it. The 3rd is a blank disk that I intended to add to make a 3-disk RAID5 array. I'll call this one DISK1.

1. I set aside DISK2 so I wouldn't accidentally use it, since it is my only useable copy of the my system.
2. I hooked up DISK0 and DISK1 onto ports 0 and 1 of the raid controller (MOBO) and booted into the BIOS RAID controller (Ctrl-I). NOTE: the motherboard BIOS is set to RAID storage (not IDE).
3. I created a new RAID1 volume on these 2 disks. This wiped out all data on both disks.
4. I removed DISK0 from my computer, and using another PC, I used ghost to copy DISK2 to DISK0. DISK0 is now a member of the array and has a copy of my system on it. I now I need to get it to mirror to DISK1.
5. I hooked DISK0 back up to port 0 of the controller. I disconnected DISK1. This will cause the raid volume to be in a DEGRADED state. I booted the computer and went into the BIOS RAID controller (Ctrl-I). The array is reported as being in a Degraded state. I was able to finish booting into Windows. I shutdown the computer.
6. I hooked DISK1 to port1 of the controller and booted into Windows. I launched the Intel Storage Matrix Manager software. It shows that the mirror is rebuilding. It took about 3 hours to rebuild.

That got me back to where I started, with a bootable RAID1 mirror, except that I now only have one partition on my disks instead of 2. I previously had a C: and D: partition, and my D: partition was only a backup copy of the OS incase I couldn't boot into the C: sometime. I suspected that having 2 partitions on 1 RAID volume was the reason that the software wouldn't let me migrate from RAID1 to RAID5. I didn't mind losing the D: partition. As it turns out, I was probably correct.

To migrate from RAID1 to RAID5:
7. I turned off the machine. I put DISK2 into the machine, but I left the SATA data cable disconnected. For some reason, Windows hangs on my PC if I have a non-member disk attached the RAID controller.
8. I booted into Windows, then I attached the SATA data cable from port 2 to DISK2. After a few seconds, Windows notified me that a new storage device was attached, but that it could not be accessed.
9. I launched the Intel Storage Matrix Manager software. It showed my mirrored array in good health and DISK2 as a non-member disk.
10. I right-clicked on the mirror volume name and selected "Modify Volume". I clicked Next to start the wizard, and Next again when it asked what volume I wanted to work with, and it was already on my volume.
11. The next dialog allowed me to change my RAID type. I selected RAID5. I left the strip size to the default of 64.
12. The next dialog asked which drive(s) to add to the RAID volume. The DISK2 drive was the only drive in the list. I selected it.
13. The rest was just confirming messages and putting it into action.
14. The progress bar on the migration indicates that it will take 36 hours to migrate my 3 500GB drives into RAID5.

I am able to use the computer while it migrates, but it really impedes the migration progress, so I am staying off of it. I'm 12 hours into it, and I see no reason that it won't complete, as long as I don't lose power.
February 9, 2011 10:59:28 PM

Best answer selected by donhesse.
!