Vista 64 shutdown problems

Comp won't shutdown...Vista shows that it is shutting down then comp fan's lights...etc) remain on. Have to manually shut using power button Same thing on restart Recently installed Nero 7 and SP2.
3 answers Last reply
More about vista shutdown problems
  1. I want to help you but I really don't want to drag the details out of you piece by peice. Could you please provide more information?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264823-31-progess-troubleshooting

That will help you.
  2. Proximon said:
    I want to help you but I really don't want to drag the details out of you piece by peice. Could you please provide more information?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264823-31-progess-troubleshooting

That will help you.

Ok sorry for lackin info... Comp runs fine, no crashes or anything only problem is shutting down. Running Vista 64, when shutting down windows goes through its paces, closes desk top, shows shutting down message and screen (aboout 10sec) and then the monitor goes black and switches to power saving mode, however my computer remains on. All lights and fans are still running. I am unsure if this is a program that is causing the problem (the last install was Nero 7, I thought this may be causeing the problem because it was an older program and may not operate correctly with Vista or WD HDD) so I've uninstalled it. I have also read where an IEEE 1394 could also be the culprit, but I do not have a firewire plugged in nor have I used any video editing options yet...

All drivers and BIOS are updated according to manufactures web listings...so right now I'm stuck...My next step will be to remove hardware one at a time until I can shut down... Though it seems like this is a software issue.

RIG:

Intel Q9400
    Thermaltake Spin Q Heat Sink
    8g G-skill 1333 @ 9-9-9-24
    HP DVD 107i sata
    500g WD HDD sata
    EVGA 9800GT 1G
    ANTEC 650w PSU
  3. Any device could cause that sort of behavior, really. If you suspect Nero, and you uninstalled it, perhaps it changed a setting on the DVD drive that hasn't changed back.

Here's a few ideas:

1. Vista is unable to turn off some device. Some hardware device is running and Vista has lost the ability to tell it to stop. (is there a disk in the DVD drive? USB device?)

2. Some software is running that Vista can't control, such as anti-virus.

3. A sleep mode setting was changed. These may be found in your BIOS under "power" or some such. (You did not list your motherboard.)

4. Check in your control panel for an item called "Problem reports and solutions" if there is a report generated each time you shut down, what does it say? If not, that's a clue as well.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Windows Vista Shutdown Systems