scippy4848

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I'm going to upgrade my mom's computer and she has a 250W power supply. I want to put in a ECS IC780M-A mobo with an amd x2 245 and 2gb crucial ddr2 1066 2.0V http://www.frys.com/product/5672051?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG i couldn't believe how small her psu even with how cheap the computer was. Anyways there will be no video card or sound card, just one cd writer/ dvd-rom and one sata 80gb hdd. Well maybe a super weak 64mb video card, but I'll probably just use onboard, will the psu she has work? (I would buy a bigger one to be safe but I don't want to upgrade it costs alot so I don't want to have to buy a psu too).

scippy4848

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Well I don't see how the case affects power supply so that shouldn't matter, and I already have a power supply. I just want to know if the one I currently have would work.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
It would help to know more about the "250W" and "how cheap the computer was" by listing specs/part#s/details. 250 watts of clean power with emphasis on the 12v rail like modern psus have will easily be enough to power your upgrade. BUT an old "cheapo" box may not come close to this...

As Newf already mentioned it would help if you could post the make and model of the current psu so we could check the specifications. Just saying it is a 250 watt power supply is insufficient. Not all 250 watt power supplies are the same and the current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) are not the same. It also matters if it is a micro-atx power supply or a standard atx power supply.

For example, the motherboard you selected requires one 24-pin ATX Power Supply Connection and one 8-pin 12V Connection. We can't tell if the 250 watt power supply has those motherboard connectors.

I asked about the case because case dimensions matter if it is necessary to replace the power supply. Do you have a micro-atx case or a standard atx case? Do you have a micro-atx power supply or a standard atx power supply?