Overclocking to 3.7ghz need help (PRO overclockers only)

as the title says i wanna achieve 3.7ghz with a q9550 on air :sol:

first thing first, do u think that this is possible on air ? :sarcastic:

if so go on reading :pt1cable:

here is my current system spec:
q9550 @ 3.4ghz (8.5 x 400) on stock voltage, temps: 25-30C idle & 44-45C Load
thermaltake frio air cooling
Gigabyte GA-P43-UD3L motherboard
mercury 750 watts psu
HD6870 >>> upgrading to GTX 570 soon

kingstone DDR2 800 ValueRAM running on dual channel

notes: - im currently 100% stable 12 hours on prime95 :D
- this pc is used mainly for gaming
- im on 1:1 ratio currently :D

as u can see the limiting factor (or shall i call it the bottleneck) is my RAM so im going to buy DDR2 1066 as im planing to overclock my system up to 3.7ghz AT LEAST and maybe more if i can :bounce:

here is my questions:
1-at extremely high overclocking speeds which would give me more stability dual channel or single channel ?(STABILITY is EXTREMELY important for me)

2-and as u know dual channel costs more so is it worth the extra investment ?(does it really affect real-world gaming performance)

3-what is a good ddr2 RAM brand ?(STABLE RAM)

4-my mch voltage is at 1.4V right now (anything less makes my system unstable) if im going to overclock up to 3.7ghz will i need to increase the mch voltage to be stable ? (note: this is the maximum mch voltage that my motherboard can support :pfff: )

5-if i buy a high quality optimized for overclocking ddr 2 RAM will i be able to reduce mch voltage and maintain stability or at least keep it as it is ?

6-will using a single channel RAM require less mch voltage to be stable ?

7-which is better (533 x 7 = 3.7ghz ) or ( 436 x 8.5 = 3.7ghz) which is more stable, gives better performance, requires less voltage?

8- in another way, when im overclocking which should i consider increasing first ? multiplier or FSB ?

waiting replays :sleep:
11 answers Last reply
More about overclocking 7ghz overclockers only
  1. 1. If you are at the ragged edge of stability, going single-channel might help. Then again it might not.**

2. Dual-channel costs more for DDR2? Really? That sucks. It doesn't for DDR3. There's only a couple of percentage points difference between single-channel and dual-channel anyway.

3. I have DDR3 in my system, but I imagine the same manufacturers are good: Corsair, G.Skill, Crucial, Kingston.

4. Possibly.**

5. Possibly.**

6. You mean using just one stick of RAM? Again, possibly.**

7. Ummm...**

8. Overclock using BCLK first. Why? If you overclock using multiplier first, you may have to decrease it anyway to get to your maximum BCLK setting.

**Note on 1, 4, 5, 6, and 7: No one can tell you the answer to those. It will depend on your specific board, CPU, memory, and whether they will all cooperate.
  2. thankx a lot

but regarding bclk ppl alwaystell to overclock using multiplier first as it creates less heat and requires less voltage, im still not sure
  3. If you are looking for a maximum performance system overclock, going with BCLK first is always best. Once you have that, then you can increase your multiplier until you find the maximum stable overclock.

If all you want is maximum CPU speed, then return the BCLK to stock and increase the CPU multiplier. That way you don't have to worry about MCH voltage and other settings.

That's the way it has always been done, at least with every CPU except Sandy Bridge.
  4. Leaps-from-Shadows said:
    If you are looking for a maximum performance system overclock, going with BCLK first is always best. Once you have that, then you can increase your multiplier until you find the maximum stable overclock.

If all you want is maximum CPU speed, then return the BCLK to stock and increase the CPU multiplier. That way you don't have to worry about MCH voltage and other settings.

That's the way it has always been done, at least with every CPU except Sandy Bridge.

It's FSB on a 775 chip and increasing the multplier isn't an optiion on a Q9550
  5. We have some misconceptions here. First, a Core2 CPU does not have a BCLK. It uses a front side bus.

Second, dual channel does not cost more. All it means is that you should be buying a matching pair of RAM modules. If you are paying more than twice as much for a dual channel (pair) of RAM as a single stick, you are paying too much.

If you are going to overclock a Core2 system, always run at the highest internal multiplier possible. Then you increase the FSB frequency.

Most DDR2-1066 RAM isn't. It is simply DDR2-800 RAM that has been tested to run at the higher frequency, usually at a higher voltage and more relaxed timings. You can usually push anything but "value RAM" higher by increasing the voltage to 2.2 volts and relaxing the timing from 4-4-4-12 to 5's-15 or 5's-15 to 6's-18. (You should try this anyway.)

RAM doesn't affect the performance of Core2 CPU's as much as it does the i5's and i7's. Likewise, for a given core speed (your Question 7), CPU performance does not scale linearly with FSB speed. Your CPU will not be 22% (533/436) faster. And the lower FSB freq will not contribute to instability.

You are on the right track with the 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio. Running your RAM faster will add very little (unnoticeable) system performance, and it will contribute to instability at extreme overclocks.

My 4 C2 systems:
    GA-EP45-UD3P | Q9550 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (425 MHz X 8.5) C3 stepping :(
    GA-EP45-UD3L | Q6600 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (400 MHz X 9)
    GA-EP35-DS3P | E7500 OC'd to 4.1 GHz (373 MHz X 11)
    GA-G41M-ES2L | E6500 OC'd to 3.87 GHz (352 MHz X 11) limited by the G41 chipset
    All systems are 48 hour Prime95 stable (24 hours small fft's and 24 hours blend tests). All are running at 1:1. All are stable with SpeedStep enabled (retested 24 hours large fft's). I am really fussy about stability. Three of the systems are running DDR2-800 Crucial Ballistix. Everything is running dual channel.
    ----------
    Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz
    :)
    If you have an E0 stepping Q9550, you have a pretty good chance of going farther than 3.4 GHz.
  6. @ jsc
    bro :P plz dont make me feel lime im stupid, i know a core 2 has an fsb not a bclk, but i mean they both has almost the same effect on overclocking, anyway thank u for the information u provided regarding RAM im sure it is gonna help me out, but how much mch voltage are u using in ur q9550 system, do u think my 1.4v mch voltage is normal or maybe is it very high (i leave my computer switched on more than 24 hours sometimes)
  7. soudi said:
    bro :P plz dont make me feel lime im stupid, i know a core 2 has an fsb not a bclk

He wasn't referring to you, he was referring to my use of the term BCLK instead of FSB. You actually called it FSB like you're supposed to.
  8. guys, i have a sudden change of plans, as i searched through the internet and the forums i discovered that my p43 chipset is a poor overclocker and will top out at 415-420 FSB as most ppl noted, which means that the most that i will be able to achieve is a 3.5ghz which is not worth the effort specially when im already at 3.4ghz

so now the questions is:

do u think if i buy new performance RAM with tighter timings will i get any noticeable performance in gaming?

my current kingstone ddr2 800 value RAM is running on 6-6-6-18 timing and 2T command rate

most ppl say that ram timing has nothing or little to do with gaming performance but others swear they do have a significant effect and i dont know who to believe, what do u think guys?

will my current ValueRAM bottleneck the GTX 570 im getting soon, i mean does it have anything to do with the gpu ?
  9. Better RAM will not help that much. Based on experience, it will give you about a 3% increase in memory i/o which will amount to an insignificant increase in total system performance - in other words, not worth it.

Push your system as far as you can and save your money for an eventual motherboard/CPU/RAM upgrade.
  10. so ur suggesting that i shall keep my ValueRAM ?

maybe thats the right thing to do as im rock-solid stable and i never faced any problems with those ValueRAM until now, but its just that i feel like im missing something, as i never heard of an overclocked gaming rig that hosts cheap ValueRAM !!! most ppl use high quality and expensive RAM, why would they do that if it really do not make a difference ?!!
  11. Because better memory does make a difference, just not a major one. And I can afford better memory. Many people cannot.

And a computer with value RAM is better than no computer at all. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking