Your question
Solved

P5QL PRO: to ReadyBoost or not to?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 20, 2009 9:44:40 PM

Hi all,

I have this

P5QLPRO,
DDRII 1GHZ 800 ( will upgrade to more, couple of months later)
Q9400 core2Quad 2.66 Ghz
250GB HDD

Win7 Ult

currently I have allocated one whole parition ( FAT32 ) of 3GB for windows Page file, and windows is set to use only this partition for pagefile

since I still time in RAM adding,

I wnat to dedicate one Thumb drive for ReadyBoost.

Q. should 'ReadyBoost' of USB Flash drive 1GB or more ( I can spare) show a difference?

Q. If I eject the USB Drive, ( not properly disconnect from win7 ) in working as ReadyBoost , any damages /data corruptions I should expect?

Q. If power fails ? system restarts, what will be the impact?

More about : p5ql pro readyboost

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 20, 2009 9:54:14 PM

A capable Readyboost enabled flashdrive of up to 4GB will work fine. If you read anything about Readyboost, you would know the questions asked are irrelevant. Try googling 'what is Readyboost'.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
November 21, 2009 1:19:19 AM

sunnyimran said:
Hi all,

I have this

P5QLPRO,
DDRII 1GHZ 800 ( will upgrade to more, couple of months later)
Q9400 core2Quad 2.66 Ghz
250GB HDD

Win7 Ult

currently I have allocated one whole parition ( FAT32 ) of 3GB for windows Page file, and windows is set to use only this partition for pagefile

since I still time in RAM adding,

I wnat to dedicate one Thumb drive for ReadyBoost.

Q. should 'ReadyBoost' of USB Flash drive 1GB or more ( I can spare) show a difference?

Q. If I eject the USB Drive, ( not properly disconnect from win7 ) in working as ReadyBoost , any damages /data corruptions I should expect?

Q. If power fails ? system restarts, what will be the impact?

Q. should 'ReadyBoost' of USB Flash drive 1GB or more ( I can spare) show a difference? According to to microsoft: You want to use 1:1 at minimal. So 1 gb or more is what you need.

Q. If I eject the USB Drive, ( not properly disconnect from win7 ) in working as ReadyBoost , any damages /data corruptions I should expect? The beauty of ready boost compared to just strait page filing is that your computer will not panic about missing memory if you were to pull it out. For corrupt data. i haven't heard anything about it before. although most people just buy a usb drive just for 24/7 ready boost usage so i would just recommend doing that instead.

Q. If power fails ? system restarts, what will be the impact? Nothing bad should happen to the usb drive. You should be more worried about the internals of the computer than it.

Although if your wanting real speed boost then i would just buy another 1gb 800MHz DDR2 ram and you should be good for a while.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If your running in single channel memory mode then adding a second stick of ram will be far better than ready boost as it will run at dual channel. (which make 2 stick of ram act as 1 larger, faster ram.)
Related resources
November 21, 2009 6:03:33 AM

Thanks,

I have same plans, :bounce: 

I will use USB stick, for readyboost ( 24/7 ) untill I get hands on more RAM sticks

Q. What about wear and tear of USB stick? since it does have a limited read/write No. of time. ( though very large) When used as Readyboost?

Q. what file format on USB stick should I use , fat32 or NTFS, or it does'nt matter?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 21, 2009 1:27:09 PM

sunnyimran said:
Thanks,

I have same plans, :bounce: 

I will use USB stick, for readyboost ( 24/7 ) untill I get hands on more RAM sticks

Q. What about wear and tear of USB stick? since it does have a limited read/write No. of time. ( though very large) When used as Readyboost?

Q. what file format on USB stick should I use , fat32 or NTFS, or it does'nt matter?

According to Microsoft: the usb sticks should last around 10 years before failing. So you shouldn't have to worry about it as the HDD in you computer would fail before the usb failed.

As for cycles, unless USB sticks are majorly different from SSD's (in terms of life cycles), The only time there wear and tear on the USB drive Is when ready-boost is writing to the usb sticks and scene it only does writing once (It only writes when you added the usb stick to the computer or when you turn on the computer) it would be very low wear & tear.

It doesn't matter. ready boost gets around these so there nothing to worry here.
m
l
November 21, 2009 2:02:19 PM

Thanks warmon6

I have enough info now to deploy ReadyBoost.

I am using NTFS, dedicated stick for Ready boost

till I have more RAM available.

:sweat: 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 21, 2009 2:10:51 PM

sunnyimran said:
Thanks warmon6

I have enough info now to deploy ReadyBoost.

I am using NTFS, dedicated stick for Ready boost

till I have more RAM available.

:sweat: 

No problem. glad to help.

If you have anymore questions about anything related to computers (or tech for that matter) just post it and well respond.
m
l
!