Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Rebuild
  • Seagate
  • Intel
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 1, 2011 10:40:09 PM

Following Intel's instructions, I am not getting anywhere.

The setup:
RAID 1 2x250gb seagate barracuda data drives. The OS is on a separate physical RAID 1 array.

The situation:
I had a dead seagate HD in my server
I have taken a Seagate barracuda refurb drive and replaced a dead drive. It turned out to be one rev newer than the last than the dead drive despite ordering an identical replacement.
(And that one was not easy to find.)

I've told the raid controller to rebuild the Array_0001 to this drive but I am not getting any rebuild messages at all in the storage console.
The Drive on Port 2 shows up in the bios as a spare.

The questions:
How do I get rid of the missing hard drive and get the other drive up there?
What am I doing wrong (other than not using an LSI controller ^_^)

I am quite frustrated at the moment help!!

Pics below.

More about : intel raid rebuild

Best solution

a b G Storage
February 2, 2011 12:18:28 AM

Not sure what you are doing wrong.

Possible workaround. backup the data to another drive.. recreate the array then copy it back?
February 2, 2011 1:53:09 AM

Another question I forgot to ask. Is there a command line interface or utility for these cards to configure and affect disks?
m
l
Related resources
a c 105 G Storage
February 3, 2011 12:30:04 AM

Did you try hot plug?

I mean OS is running
m
l
February 3, 2011 3:30:32 PM

FireWire2 said:
Did you try hot plug?

I mean OS is running

Not yet. The documentation says it will not auto rebuild, but I will try it and let you know.

If this doesn't work, I am going to take rand_79s suggestion and back up the data and rebuild the RAID.

Thanks!
m
l
a b G Storage
February 6, 2011 2:04:17 PM

You have to add or replace at in the controller bios before it can rebuild. So since it sees it as a spare I think you have to add it to your raid 1 drive.
m
l
April 26, 2011 3:39:08 PM

rand_79 said:
Not sure what you are doing wrong.

Possible workaround. backup the data to another drive.. recreate the array then copy it back?

This is what I had to do to get it running. Directory services crap was running on the D drive despite not much data being there. It took forever to undo that before breaking the RAID.

Thanks!!
m
l
April 26, 2011 3:39:40 PM

Best answer selected by lysinger.
m
l