Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Compaq presario 5123sr problems

Last response: in Motherboards
November 21, 2009 12:27:14 AM

neighbor has problems with his presario 5123sr and hope you folks can help me. power button doesnt light up but turns on pc,but wont turn it off,has no video but all fans and dvd lights work. numbers on mobo are mcp61pm-hm. says it worked til son cleaned it with small vacuum and a q-tip of all things! any help would be very appreciated and thanks.

Best solution

a c 435 V Motherboard
November 21, 2009 6:55:15 PM

First, try unplugging the power supply and removing the board battery for a few seconds. If that doesn't work, you will have to search ebay for a replacement board. You might also change the power supply if it's more than 3 years old. The HP windows operating system will only work with an hp board; doesn't have to be the same model unless your neighbor didn't make back up copies of windows. Many of those boards ship from China and are used, but new is too expensive.
November 21, 2009 9:03:27 PM

o1die said:
First, try unplugging the power supply and removing the board battery for a few seconds. If that doesn't work, you will have to search ebay for a replacement board. You might also change the power supply if it's more than 3 years old. The HP windows operating system will only work with an hp board; doesn't have to be the same model unless your neighbor didn't make back up copies of windows. Many of those boards ship from China and are used, but new is too expensive.

Thanks oldie< Had a feeling i was gonna hear that. Replaced video card and memory this morning and didnt work. pulled battery for a full minute as well as power supply plug, i also changed power button from my hp luckily was the same bbut again didnt work. noticed slight powdery residue at cpu socket and figured it was the board. thanks again for the reply!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2009 11:41:49 AM

Unfortunately, vacuum cleaners generate static when running so he most likely killed that board the second he touched the board.
Personally I prefer to use a compressor and nozzle....but you'll want to do that outside as the dust bunnies will be flying out of that case!
Good luck on your mother board hunt....JQ
m
l
!