IDE drives all malfunctioning and failing suddenly

wmioch

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hey guys,

I've had this computer for a few years now, specs below. Basically, all my IDE connected drives (2 hard drives, 1 DVD drive) have all started malfunctioning at once. There are 2 different cables involved and switching it around doesn't seem to help. At startup, they are reporting their names as garbage sometimes but it's always the same garbage, or it's the correct name. But by the time I get into Windows the drives are either missing, Windows tells me it needs to be formatted or it tries and fails to install drivers again and again.

On the other hand, my 2 SATA hard drives are doing fine.

I'm guessing this points to a motherboard or possibly BIOS issue, but I have no idea what to do about it.

Bill

edit: I had hoped the spoiler would hide all that - my bad

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
that is a long post.

The last of my troubles with this similar was a bent motherboard, and bad cable...almost ten years ago. Staying with intel seems to have curtailed this...
the odds of all failing...target ide chip after verifying power good.. it is headed out, even if you find something obvious like heatsink.

find sources of ground above and below mobo, and check you have a big enough power supply.
in whatever order you feel like doing it...

and nvidia sucks as a whole system. :pt1cable:

People, DON'T DO THIS PLEASE, unless someone asks for all this junk, it is pointless.
Sounds to me like your IDE controller is about to die on you.
If your board is old enough to have still have 2 IDE channels, it's time to replace it anyway.
Here is some helpful advice if you do replace it, do not buy another motherboard with an nVidia chipset. They simply are not the best choice.

TRENDING THREADS