Do I need Thermal Compund?

denzlite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I just installed a new AMD 940 Phenom... the package didn't come with thermal compound and the instructions made no mention of it... but now I'm wondering if I should take it apart and put some on there anyway...

I would. Better to play it safe and run cool than to chance it. Look for decent brands such as: Arctic Cooling MX-3, Tuniq, Arctic Silver 5, or OCZ Freeze.

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Come on guys, a micro-thin layer is ALWAYS required as it fills in the micro-defects in the chip and the HSF..."it SHOULD have" is a STUPID response, DO IT YOURSELF EVERYTIME... Replace the factory goop with an Industry standard heat sink grease, Arctic Silver 5 is just that...

+1

gondo

Distinguished
Stock the heatshink should have a grey pad pre-applied. This is the heatsink compound that will sort off melt with heat. It sometimes has a pink plastic protecting that you need to peel off. Double check.

You have to scrape off the factory grey stuff to put your own and better compound on which is recommended for overclocking but by no means necessary.

Fulmar

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
The stock pads on the HSF's should do the trick. Millions of PC's out there use them. If you're OCing or looking to lower temps, look to an aftermarket thermal compound.

For stock, I wouldn't sweat it. If properly seated and installed you should have nothing to worry about. The sky isn't falling if you didn't scrape off that pre-applied pad and used say Arctic Silver 5.

If there wasn't a thermal pad on your heatsink, your computer should more than like shut down fairly quickly after boot due to overheating.