Security threat ?

bspin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Config: wireless router ( DLink DIR-615 ), 3 clients, 2 desktops ( one wired one wireless ), 1 laptop ( wired + wireless ). So four NICs.

I am getting this message on my router log.
( - it's a wireless router)

Access denied to wireless system with MAC address XXXXXXXXXXA6 ( which is none of my comps )
Above message repeated 27 times

I am actually getting hundreds and hundreds of "hits". I've secured the network, WPA Only - Personal, and turned mac filtering on.

Is it a way to avoid this flood ? Is there a way to contact this comp that tries to connect and tell him to stop, because it is not going to work ?
It been some time since I got these messages, then it stopped for a while and I noticed a new address in my mac filtering list - but it wasn't "...xxxA6" I've deleted it. Not so sure what exactly happened, didn't notice any other wirless connections in my router. Might have been a wireless digital picture frame that I have and I've tried playing with. Still the picture frame doesn't have that mac address.
I've reduced the power of the router to a minimum but it seems that I am still within the reach of "...xxxA6"

So, my questions are:
Is somebody trying to connect to my router or not ? To steal internet .. whatever the reason, I don't care.
How do I block him ?
How can I contact my neighbor and give him a warning ? I am not going to knock on any of my neighbors doors. I am lazy and don't like confrontations.

Thanks.

Solution
G
If you have a wireless b adapter it may not support WPA (though there may be a firmware update that does). So you may have to use WEP, which is more complex and less secure. WPA2 is an even later standard and may involve a new adapter and possibly a new router.

Changing the SSID to something unique saves you trying to log on in error to yet another network named by default as Linksys or Netgear -- it doesn't aid security nor does hiding (not broadcasting) it.

The standard WPA type is PSK TKIP -- you don't need to know what it means, just make sure you select it in both router and wireless adapter.

To apply wireless security you will need to access the router's setup screens -- and doing this may involve reading the literature...
G

You might try changing the router's SSID (network name) to something like --
"78 Acacia Road stop hacking me"

If that's the guy, he'll notice it. If it's not him he probably won't notice it.

TegGhola

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Have you tried changing the SSID and then turning off SSID broadcast? Then your access point should stop being visible in other people's wireless connection dialogs.

Of course, if someone really is trying to force their way onto your wireless network, they can probably use cracking software that doesn't need the SSID to be broadcast for them to attempt a connection, but at least it should shake off any fools trying to connect by accident.

By the way, if you think you're under threat, you should be using WPA2, as WPA has already been revealed as less than strong security. Personally, I despise wireless networking precisely because it's so indiscriminate. Much better just to run thirty metre Ethernet cables all over the house. Sure, a few people might trip to their deaths now and again, but at least you know your network doesn't reach beyond the four walls of your domestic death trap.

bspin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Thank you guys.
Changing the SSID to a message seems a good approach, or at least interesting. I am going to try first to end the brodcasting.
I agree TegHola, hardwired is so much healthier.
I am a bit confused though with some stuff:
Is it that a wild SSID ( 32 alphanumeric characters ) together with broadcast off are used as a security measure ?
What are the keys then ? There is also a pre-shared key (pass phrase)! How do I use them ?
I am afraid that I am not going to be able to use WPA2 because my laptop has an old wireless adapter ( 802.11 b ).
Unfortunately I can't play that much with the settings since I am sharing the network with the guy upstairs (the one wireless desktop), and I can't leave him without net. I know I will grow very impatient.
I obviously have to read a bit more about this wireless setup thing. I also want to ask my ISP for a second IP. I want to test some stuff. Then imagine the mess that I will make. Any idea if I need two routers ? Will I be able to channel the two IPs to whatever computers I want to use ? Will there be two different LANs ? I guess I should be able two have two different LANs.
Yep. It's a mess.
Thanks for any suggestions.

bspin

G

If you have a wireless b adapter it may not support WPA (though there may be a firmware update that does). So you may have to use WEP, which is more complex and less secure. WPA2 is an even later standard and may involve a new adapter and possibly a new router.

Changing the SSID to something unique saves you trying to log on in error to yet another network named by default as Linksys or Netgear -- it doesn't aid security nor does hiding (not broadcasting) it.

The standard WPA type is PSK TKIP -- you don't need to know what it means, just make sure you select it in both router and wireless adapter.

To apply wireless security you will need to access the router's setup screens -- and doing this may involve reading the literature which came with it or downloading the user manual from manufacturer's site.

Solution