Sign in with
Your question

Temps plz help

Last response: in Overclocking
April 18, 2011 4:23:09 PM

ok i have a amd 2.8ghz phenom 2 quad core 920 after over clocking my temps are about 50c-52c idel and in gaming there getting to 83c
i have oc it to 3.05 ghz and volts are up to .150

now this is my bros comp and im telling him to take the clock off the temps are way to high way way to high so whats your opinion abiant temp is about 27c im thingking his thermal paist is gone b/c resently he took his heat sink off thermal paist is orderd im trying to save his comp but he dont belive me plz help

what should he do

where using cpuid hardwhere mon for our temps

More about : temps plz

April 18, 2011 5:45:43 PM

83? Yeah, tell him to STOP the overclock, and fix he heating, it will explode SOON. I have the 925 and it never gets above 55c, and 70c is the danger zone. So you can understand that an 83 is CRAZY BAD. Also 1.5 is the MAX voltage you can apply to that specific CPU, so definitely revert that to original voltages (and remove the overclock). What's even WORSE, is that the max temp for the 920 isn't 70, it's 60!!! So 83 is even WORSE!! Though, it's obviously not the overclock that's bringing it up that high, it's probably the heatsync, or the system fan is not working properly, i'm not exactly sure but 83c is BAD! Please head this response! :p  Did you say there's nto heatsync on the cpu? :S

PS: Get him to read this!
m
l
April 18, 2011 5:53:52 PM

the heatsink is a aftermarket zelman one and yes its on ya he took the oc off but its still getting to 55C-60C i will apply tp to it and see what happens from there ty
m
l
Related resources
April 18, 2011 6:04:31 PM

lynmachine said:
the heatsink is a aftermarket zelman one and yes its on ya he took the oc off but its still getting to 55C-60C i will apply tp to it and see what happens from there ty

Hehe nahhh you're fine 55-60 is perfect for the 920, though if you think you can reduce it, go for it :p  I exagerated how bad 60c was to show you how bad 83 was haha BUT anything at 63 or under is ok :)  And if it's at 55-60 with NO overclock, then it SHOULDN"T really go much above 60c :p 
m
l
April 18, 2011 6:08:07 PM

well i bought the thermal paist artic silver AS5-3.5G % we are both buying bulldozer when it comes out but for now our temps are higher then what we like well what i like i dont like anything over 50c so we will apply the thermal paist and he wonts to oc again after that so ty
m
l
April 18, 2011 6:18:30 PM

lynmachine said:
well i bought the thermal paist artic silver AS5-3.5G % we are both buying bulldozer when it comes out but for now our temps are higher then what we like well what i like i dont like anything over 50c so we will apply the thermal paist and he wonts to oc again after that so ty

Sweet, arctic silver is a very good brand, you couldn't have picked a better paste. Also, you say you don't want your temps to go over 50c, well if it does go over 50 with the arctic silver, then it's the heatsync, you just need a better one :p  Though really anything around 60 or lower is fine, and you should feel completely safe :) 
PS: Honestly, don't feel like you're lacking if you can't overclock, i've overclocked before on my 925 from 2.8 to 3.8 and it only gave me 2 extra frames in games haha. So unless you deal with cpu intensive programs like pcsx2, a 2.8 is fine for most everything :p 
m
l
April 18, 2011 6:25:07 PM

see my comp a athlon x2 5000+ i keep below 50
his the phenom 2 he dont care really but imma do my best to get it down what paist do u recomend i will be getting the best for my bulldozer that will be coming soon
m
l
April 18, 2011 7:26:49 PM

lynmachine said:
see my comp a athlon x2 5000+ i keep below 50
his the phenom 2 he dont care really but imma do my best to get it down what paist do u recomend i will be getting the best for my bulldozer that will be coming soon

Use the paste you're using now, but the paste only takes you so far, even if the paste give 100% connection/heat flow to the heat sync, it's the heat sync/fan itself that pushes the heat away :p  So you'll need to buy a separate heat sync from eBay or something, because the stock heat sync/fan that comes with most cpu's aren't the BEST for overclocking, as you have seen with the Phenom II 920 :p 
m
l
!