PC wont boot after replacing video card

Biloxi_1

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Recently tried to upgrade video card from ati 4670 to gtx 260 core 216, after swapping out the card when i try to turn on the pc it comes on for a faction of a second (Fans spin, Power supply kicks on, ect..) then shuts itself off again. I have tried reseating the card, the ram, made sure all plugs are connected properly. Worse still, I tried putting the original card back in and it does the same thing. Please help.

Gigabyte EP43-UD3L
Intel 8400 core 2 duo @ stock speed
Rosewill 550W power supply
4 gigs G.skill 1066 ram
xp pro 64 bit edition

Biloxi_1

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
I have unplugged all cables and replugged them all making sure they are nice and snug, still getting the same thing though =(

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Reseat the ram, and double check all power cables. Rosewill is not known as a great PSU. Could be pulling too much power with the new card. Could it have fried when he tried the new card?

If you get the same result with two vid cards, and no vid cards, the problem ain't the vid cards lol.

So we need to look for something that took place at the time you made the swap, and still exists.

Did you have trouble inserting the 260? Perhaps damage/short out the PCIe slot?

The 260 requires a PCIe power plug. Does the psu provide that? Did you have trouble inserting it? Short that plug? (Can't imagine this one lol, but hey!)

Do you have another psu to try?

If you remove *everything* (including kb, mouse, and all USB cables) except the cpu and heat sink fan, do you get the same beep sequence? If not, start putting stuff back on (kb, then mouse, then one stick memory, then other stuff) until you get 3 longs, one short.

Biloxi_1

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
I don't get any beeps at all. I have a 430w thermal take power supply in an older pc I'll stick that in there and post the results

Biloxi_1

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
ok tried power supply from older pc and it started right up. That's crazy, that rosewill is less than 2 weeks old, and i double checked that it had enough juice to run the 260. I'll return the power supply and stay away from rosewill in the future, thanks everyone for the help.

TRENDING THREADS