Sign in with
Your question

How to orangize data on HDDs

Last response: in Storage
February 2, 2011 10:03:46 AM

I currently have 2 500gb HDDs in Raid 1 setup. I'm about to upgrade my system which will require a clean install of the OS.

What is the best way to organize my system's HDDs? Multiple Partitions?

Please suggest ways to best organize my system to make finding/installing things easier.

Thank you

More about : orangize data hdds

a c 353 G Storage
February 2, 2011 3:51:20 PM

I normal do 3 partitions.
First one - For operating system and programs. This keeps the files on the oute edges of the platter(s) where performance is highest.
2nd One - for most of normal, smaller file size like word docs, text files, downloads ect.
For Partition 1 and 2 I use default cluster size.
3rd partition - I up the cluster size to 16 or 32 K and on this I put large files such as jpeg pictures, video files and for files that tend to be larger the 10 megs.

This pertains to Raid0. Rather than partition using windows, I set the Array size in which case windows treats it as if it was a 3 drive setup (ie drive 0,1 and 3 with no partitions) vs windows partitioning which would treat it as a single drive with 3 partitions. - Probably the same for raid 1, but I don't use Raid1 as I prefer backing up to an external drive.
m
l
February 2, 2011 10:33:43 PM

RetiredChief said:
This pertains to Raid0. Rather than partition using windows, I set the Array size in which case windows treats it as if it was a 3 drive setup (ie drive 0,1 and 3 with no partitions) vs windows partitioning which would treat it as a single drive with 3 partitions. - Probably the same for raid 1, but I don't use Raid1 as I prefer backing up to an external drive.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I understood the first part but the part I quoted I don't understand, kind of lost me on it. Could you explain further?

I don't know if this is revelant or not, but the Raid 1 is setup by the motherboard and windows only sees 1 drive as it should.

Could you explain how much I should assign each partition? I was thinking of putting programs on a seperate partition since I tend to re/install many programs.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
February 3, 2011 1:32:53 AM

Since you are not planning a raid 0, ignore.

For Operating system plus programs, I propably would limit to 200 -> 300 gigs. The remainder you can leave as a single partition or subdivide it. Many, including myself have purchased SSDs. The typical size recommended is from 80 to 128 gigs. Myself I have 120 gigs allocated for operating system plus programs (This computer). My two laptops have 80 gigs and a 128 gig in one (I swap the two drives depending on what I'm doing) and a 128 gig in the 2nd laptop.
m
l
!