Damaged CPU? Added too much thermal paste!!

aznspectre

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
It was my first time computer building and I added a little too much thermal paste. I didn't realize it at the time I was installing the CPU cooler but when I took out the cooler, I noticed some of the paste has gone to the backside of the CPU. Theres just a little grey smudge areas along the back side but not in the middle where the chips are.

I haven't tested it yet be should I be concern? I was thinking about using some alcohol to wipe it down but I'm afraid to damage it more.

homegun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Most CPU cooler thermal pastes are non-conductive electrically, so from that point of view probably didn't do any damage. If you decide to wipe off the paste on the "pin" side of the CPU, make sure you're very well grounded, and try to use a cloth that won't generate static. Just go slow and be careful. And remember that with thermal paste, less is better!

festerovic

Distinguished

I've had this happen, and I used alcohol to clean it, let it dry, and it worked again. I'm not sure if alcohol on the wrong part of the cpu would hurt it though.