Need help choosing memory

I'm spending a lot on this system and I am also penny pinching at the same time if that makes any sense. I'm having trouble deciding between:

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

and

CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

the rest of my system specs are this so far:

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable
COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5TB
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 850W
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366
Thermaltake V1 Max-Performance CPU Cooler
Corsair P128 2.5" 128GB (SSD)
Radeon 5870

Any advise on the rest of my build is welcome also. I know quite a bit but i'm not an expert.

Also I was just reading a post about the ASUS P6T not reading 6GB of memory and was wondering if this version 2 of it was doing the same thing or should I look for another board?
5 answers Last reply
More about need choosing memory
  1. I recommend getting an ASUS P6TD, its a newer version and i never had a problem with asus...or gigabyte, both are excellent. I don't see why you would get a 850watt for that. A 600-700watt good quality PSU would do fine. I guess you plan on Crossfiring or SLI'ing. If you are spending a lot on your system, get Mushkin Enhanced Redlines 6GB Tri-Channel. They have 1600mhz and the best Latency for thier frequency at CL6. Also, are you planning on Overclocking?
  2. Not planning on overclocking, the memory is also not available any more on newegg, is there anywhere else to buy it? I'll be buying another 5870 in a year or 2 when they drop price but until then i wont be crossfiring.
  3. Okay well then you are set. If you were to put your CPU under load or overclock it, i would ofcourse recommend a different cooler, but since you aren't I guess its fine.
  4. What CPU cooler would you recommend if I was going to overclock it?
  5. A cooler master V8 or V10....V10 is pretty expensive and its for the extreme overclovkers and is quite overkill, but a V8 is near the top of the chain. Paired with good thermal paste, a V8 will cool amazing. I have one, I know.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR3