[Sims2] No skills in community lots :(

So, after seeing that the passage of time is ... unusual ... on
community lots, it occurred to me that the RIGHT community lot might be
a useful way to take advantage of this fact.

Enter the LIBRARY. A building with books, books, and more books, plus
some chess tables and computers. Recreational reading and chatting,
yes, allowing the Sim to get Fun, Comfort, and Social - but also should
be a great place for enhancing skills, no? Cooking, Mechanical, and
Cleaning from books, Logic from the chess tables, Creativity from doing
writing on the computers... No Body or Charisma, though. Definitely a
great place for skill-building, right.

Wrong. I get the 'Study' interaction on the bookshelves, and the Sim
goes through the motions, losing social and fun and whatever else goes
down while s/he's sitting there studying, but no little purple
thermometer, and no profiting from the hours spent studying in the
library. All penalty, no reward. Pfui. That's wrong; it needs to be
corrected in the next (or a future) expansion pack, or a patch - either
to allow skill-building, or to bar the interactions that imply it to be
possible (the way, for example, that 'Nap' isn't available for sofas on
community lots).

Or have I missed something in my lot-building?

--
Jeff Zeitlin
jzeitlin@cyburban.com

    I'm pretty sure that to get credit for studying (group research)--on
    any lot--you must be doing it with another student. This can be one
    you control or another. Note, if you start studying and then click on
    someone else at the library (NPC student), then you will get an option
    to have them join you. If you see someone studying, you can click on
    them (instead of the bookshelf) and get the option to join their study
    group. This seems to work the same on community lots as on home lots.

    Jeff Zeitlin wrote:
    > So, after seeing that the passage of time is ... unusual ... on
    > community lots, it occurred to me that the RIGHT community lot might
    > be a useful way to take advantage of this fact.
    >
    > Enter the LIBRARY. A building with books, books, and more books, plus
    > some chess tables and computers. Recreational reading and chatting,
    > yes, allowing the Sim to get Fun, Comfort, and Social - but also
    > should be a great place for enhancing skills, no? Cooking,
    > Mechanical, and Cleaning from books, Logic from the chess tables,
    > Creativity from doing writing on the computers... No Body or
    > Charisma, though. Definitely a great place for skill-building, right.
    >
    > Wrong. I get the 'Study' interaction on the bookshelves, and the Sim
    > goes through the motions, losing social and fun and whatever else goes
    > down while s/he's sitting there studying, but no little purple
    > thermometer, and no profiting from the hours spent studying in the
    > library. All penalty, no reward. Pfui. That's wrong; it needs to be
    > corrected in the next (or a future) expansion pack, or a patch -
    > either to allow skill-building, or to bar the interactions that imply
    > it to be possible (the way, for example, that 'Nap' isn't available
    > for sofas on community lots).
    >
    > Or have I missed something in my lot-building?

    No, you need a hack that lets you build skills on community lots. You will
    find it here.

    http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=20172

    Lots of other handy hacks on that site. Look around.

    Jeanie

    DeAnn wrote:
    > I'm pretty sure that to get credit for studying (group research)--on
    > any lot--you must be doing it with another student.

    I think you're assuming the OP is talking about University, and it's not
    evident that he is.

    --
    --Cuth

    Cuthbert Gurdlestone <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >DeAnn wrote:
    >> I'm pretty sure that to get credit for studying (group research)--on
    >> any lot--you must be doing it with another student.
    >
    >I think you're assuming the OP is talking about University, and it's not
    >evident that he is.

    ....and while the original question would certainly be applicable to
    University, in point of fact, I wasn't even thinking of it at the time;
    this is a Sim that has already graduated (cum laude) and has been
    building career-related skills.

    --
    Jeff Zeitlin
    jzeitlin@cyburban.com

    Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:

    > DeAnn wrote:
    >> I'm pretty sure that to get credit for studying (group
    >> research)--on
    >> any lot--you must be doing it with another student.
    > I think you're assuming the OP is talking about University, and
    > it's
    > not evident that he is.

    He or she was, but it wasn't about studying for class, it was
    about studying for skills. And you can't do that in groups.

    You can also study for class on your own, by the way. But it goes
    slower and fun goes down quicker.

    T.

    I'd originally written...

    >So, after seeing that the passage of time is ... unusual ... on
    >community lots, it occurred to me that the RIGHT community lot might be
    >a useful way to take advantage of this fact.

    >Enter the LIBRARY.

    The hack that I was pointed to (by Jeanie) did the trick; after applying
    it, the Pleasantview Public Library worked like a charm. That got me
    thinking about the remaining skills: Body and Charisma, which I made no
    provisions for in the library. Where can one find mirrors, and where
    can one work out?

    Answer: The Pleasantview "Y". Downstairs: a social lounge, with
    loveseats, a stereo, and a TV; locker rooms with mirrors, and bathrooms
    and shower rooms off them, and a gym. Upstairs: some really tiny
    bedrooms, and a kitchen and dining room. Outside: A pool larger than
    the one at the community center.

    The Library and the "Y" together are just SO abusable... :)

    Warning for folks building 'abuse lots': Make sure that the community
    lots have public phones, even if you started building them as
    residential lots and then changed the zoning. Without that public
    phone, even if your Sim has a cellphone, you won't be able to call a
    taxi to get OFF the lot.

    --
    Jeff Zeitlin
    jzeitlin@cyburban.com