MOBO wont POST - PSU problem?

mechaneil

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Greetings to all. New guy here. Hoping anyone can help me out on this one.
I am putting together a pc for my son. But it wont post or boot at all. It's not even giving a beeping sound to at least tell me something.

Here's the bare spec:

Asrock 775v88 board - REFURBISHED
CPU - LGA775 for Intel® Pentium 4/Celeron processor
- FSB 800/533 MHz
- Support advanced Intel® EM64T CPU
- Supports Hyper-Threading Technology
- Intel® 04B/04A processors compatible
Chipset
- Northbridge: VIA® PT880
- Southbridge: VIA® 8237
Memory
- Dual Channel DDR memory technology
- Supports DDR400/333/266 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- DIMM slots: 4
- Max. capacity of system memory: 4GB
Pentium 4 with 3.4GHz Processor socket SL7Z7 3.4GHZ/2M/800 - USED
4x1GB LOW DENSITY PC2700 333MHZ DDR 333FSB MEMORY (GENERIC BRAND) NEW

Planning to use this graphics card: http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/pr...g_series/g450/

I read somewhere that it could be the PSU, I am using an old pc case and it has only a 250watt PSU, would that be a problem. Need to check first before I get I higher PSU wattage. And if it is the PSU, how much should I get, Thanks in advance guys, really appreciate any help.

Well, you've got several candidates there. Just a thought on PSUs while you are going through the checklist.

A 250W psu is unlikely to support a graphics card. A 300W psu will only support extremely low end gcards. So, unless I am certain a decent graphics card will never be required, I always install a high-quality, 400W+ psu. These normally can be gotten for ~$50, like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703017

mechaneil

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Thanks to everyone's reply, went ahead and bought a 500watt PSU, hopefully this will solve the problem. I'm am still just wondering, even with my current PSU wattage (250watt) shouldn't the board still give a beeping sound, unless the board is actually dead or worst, the CPU chip.

I downloaded your mobo's manual, and I didn't find any reference to a speaker.

PSUs can fail in a variety of ways, and the new one may fix the problem - or it may not. As you understand, you have a couple of other risk factors. But you would need a new psu in any case, so this will serve two purposes.

mechaneil

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Update on my MOBO-PSU issue:

It's actually a dead MOBO, tried it with a new PSU and still no POST, so I requested for a replacemen, hopefully they send me a working one this time.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time pitching in their answers, I really appreciate this forum and the members for helping out.

mechaneil

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Hey guys,

Finally received my replacement MOBO, with a new PSU 680 watt and hooked it up last night. With the CPU plus fan, ram and video card, it still wont POST, not even a beep. But when I remove the RAM, I get 3 long beeps, then 10-12 seconds of silence, then 3 long beeps again.

Did some searches on this forum and this is what I got.

Standard Original IBM POST Error Codes

* 3 long beeps: 3270 keyboard card

How do I go about this error?

I've tried using only 1 RAM and changing from slot to slot but it just wont POST. This is really getting frustrating. Your insight will hopefully prevent me from throwing this MOBO out. Thanks.