GA-EP31-DS3L RAM issue

breino

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hello.. I got this GA-EP31-DS3L motherboard and installed 4gb of RAM. when I check for RAM it says 4gb (2gb usable). I have win 7 64 bit. how do I fix this ?

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
GA-EP31-DS3L Specs

* Because of chipset limitations, do not populate both DIMM sockets of the same channel (e.g. DDR and DDR2), or populate 4 DIMM sockets with double-sided memory modules to prevent system's failure to start or incorrect detection of memory modules. Please refer to the user manual for the memory configurations table.

User Manual - see Section 1.4.1 (Page 16) about memory population restrictions or limits.

Intel G31/P31 motherboard with four DIMM slots has special module population restrictions due to the fact that G31/P31 was never intended to be used on motherboards with more than two DIMM slots. The chipset supports a maximum of four memory ranks or sides, preventing the use of four double sided (double rank) modules.

bilbat

Splendid
This same issue is now 'haunting' large numbers of people with P55 MOBOs that have six DIMM slots - and, good luck trying to find (or find out which are) single sided modules!