Which rads would work best for my setup?

Aleckazee

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I'm going to build a computer and want to wc the cpu and gpu, maybe the mb as well.
CPU: i5-2500k
GPU: not too sure but either a 6870 or a 6950

I would like to overclock the gpu but not too worried about the cpu.

is there a general rule for how many rads you need for this sort of loop? I would like the setup to be quiet and I would be mounting the rads inside the case (corsair 650d). Any suggestions on which rads I should get?
I was hoping a dual 120mm and a single 140mm would be enough, does that sound about right? I'm not looking for fantastic temps, just enough so I can overclock a bit on the gpu and it's quiet.

Solution
A 220 and a 140 rad would cool a CPU+GPU in a single loop. If you will be OC'ing either, you might consider upping one of those to a bigger rad. A 2x140 and a 200mm would work excellent.

do you/can you put a 200mm fan on either side, pulling air into the case via the rad, and would that still have some cool air intake or does the air become hot by the time it passes thru the rad?

Push/pull would get the most of any rad...and this would be fine for this setup. You won't be moving air that is really that hot given the Delta you should have with that setup. It might be lukewarm, but not hot air.

Is there an easy way of mounting the radiators (particularly the one at the front?)?

Eh, this is one that isn't set in stone...

bejabbers

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
The general rule of thumb is 1.5-2 x 120mm of rad per major heat producer. So to cool a cpu and a gpu you'd want at a bare minimum a good 360mm rad. As well you want to take into account the thickness of the radiators. A thicker rad works better than a thinner one.

As well, if you're planning to overclock, you may want to think about 2-3 x 120mm of rad per major heat producer.

rubix has a really good sticky with tons of information and links. You should read it.

orangejuice789

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
A dual 120 and a single 140mm would definitely be able to cool a single GPU. depending on what rads you choose you could certainly get some good temps with that setup. some good rads are reviewed at skinneelabs.com

Some rads i would reccommend for a 2x120mm are the RX 240, or the EX 240 XT.

Aleckazee

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
thanks for the replies. I would only be able to get slim radiators in my case.
I don't quite understand, if you need 2 120mm rads per heat producer, how is liquid cooling quieter than air when you are using more fans?

I might be able to fit 2 dual 120mm rads in the case but I am not sure, it would make it hard to mount the pump

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
@OP 650D is very nice case , actually i'm considering this case for my next build .
Here are your options..you have room on top for dual 120MM or dual 140MM or single 200MM RAD,best bet would be.. not to thick RAD (the distance between MB/roof is limited)
2x140 or 200MM RAD;
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c95/s930/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-PC_Water_Cooling_Radiators-140mm_Dual-Page1.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12103/ex-rad-186/Phobya_Xtreme_200mm_Radiator_Silverstone_Cooler_Master_Yate_Loon.html?tl=g30c95s1344
next is front,you can remove HDD rack and place 200MM in front as intake,all of this won't require moding ,if you install both this rad's it would be very nice set up,here is a little video about this great case;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z5Z4OtlOtc

Aleckazee

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I didn't think you could fit a dual 140mm rad at the top, but if you can then that's great.
So I guess I'll go for a dual 140mm and a single 200mm rad, and I think that would be enough to cool what i want.
Question: When you mount the rad at the front of the case (the 200mm), do you/can you put a 200mm fan on either side, pulling air into the case via the rad, and would that still have some cool air intake or does the air become hot by the time it passes thru the rad?

EDIT: Is there an easy way of mounting the radiators (particularly the one at the front?)?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
A 220 and a 140 rad would cool a CPU+GPU in a single loop. If you will be OC'ing either, you might consider upping one of those to a bigger rad. A 2x140 and a 200mm would work excellent.

do you/can you put a 200mm fan on either side, pulling air into the case via the rad, and would that still have some cool air intake or does the air become hot by the time it passes thru the rad?

Push/pull would get the most of any rad...and this would be fine for this setup. You won't be moving air that is really that hot given the Delta you should have with that setup. It might be lukewarm, but not hot air.

Is there an easy way of mounting the radiators (particularly the one at the front?)?

Eh, this is one that isn't set in stone. However, the best thing to do is to do a Google search on your case and then add 'water cooling'...this should turn up some ideas...if you do an image search, it would simplify the process. Also, check YouTube with the same search...

Something like 'Corsair 650D water cooling'...and...GO!

Solution

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

yeah, this set up is good for overclocked CPU+2x gpu's,i would say..get the case and measure before you order(all the RAD dimensions are listed ) the RAD's if you have problem with 200MM -dual 120MM will fit for sure in front

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

it's funny, apparently OP decided to go with smaller RAD's all tho the case is well suited for larger RAD's without moding ,on the other hand most people will chop off half of the case to get the larger RAD's in ..wonder what will happen when he would want to go CF/SLI.. :na:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
@aleckazee-

I meant most first timers come in with the notion they can cool a OC CPU and SLI/Crossfire on a single 2x120 rad. I usually recommend at least 1.5x worth of a 120mm rad per CPU or GPU...a 2x120 for each is better.

The 2x140 and 1x200 will be fine...there is a lot of rad space on those rads. To be honest, I'd like to see more 140 rads made, but the 120mm fan slot is still the most common on most cases. Remember the days when all cases used were 80mm and then the jump to 120mm's? Same thing...140's will become far more common...even 180's and 200's.

@ortoklaz- you and the odd-ball sized rads. :) Hey, go with what fits...that's the best plan. Resourcefulness...always the best solution before modding...unless you are backwards and try to cram stuff that doesn't fit into a tiny space.