Odd Occasional Popping Noise

cr0wmium

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Hello everybody!

I am pleased to say I am a new member to Tom's. But alas, I come with problems.

I just built a new system. I have a Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P motherboard, 8gbs of Kingston HyperX 1066, an AMD 3.2 Ghz Quad-Core Black Edition, an HIS IceQ+ Radeon 4870 1GB DDR5 video card, 2x 74GB Raptors (refurbs), 1x WD Black 1TB, and an 850 Watt Corsair TX PSU.

That being said, everything is working great so far with Windows Vista Ultimate x64...except for my sound.

It is not a big problem... but definitely a continual annoyance. My audio is working great when it does, especially using my Razer Mako's. The problem is occasionally a "popping" noise, and I a mean occasionally, will come from the speakers. It is not a latency problem, nor a proximity problem like some have had with a router. I am using on board audio.

I have the most current drivers for my audio controller, and the problem still persists. The noise will come when playing MP3s via WMP, watching movies with VLC, YouTube, Pandora, and even minutely in WoW.

I am really frustrated, because I cannot seem to find any help with this. Another important note is that the sound comes through front audio, and also through different peripherals. My old Z4's produced the sound, same as my Razer Mako, same as my AudioTechniqa headphones. The noise is occasional, but pronounced. I watch CPU graphs under my startup manager, and whenever a core seemed to have an activity spike, so did a sound also come out. I was under the assumption that only OLD motherboards would relay CPU activity through the speakers... if that is indeed the problem.

What it comes down to is that I would love if somebody could help me fix this problem... or if not, if somebody would also confirm my theory that a sound card would fix all my problems, and I should go with that. An HTOmega Striker 7.1 to be exact.

Thanks for you help!

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
And Welcome you are...
You might check and make sure that your heat sink/cpu are firmly seated,or if sound IS really important to you invest in a sound card,as the current problem is associated with the onboard audio..
In any event do check ALL mobo connections hdd's everything,and check your audio connections re colour,been there done that,got some interesting results too..:)