Please give me feedback on my first overclock. Went from 2.8 GHz to 3.8 GHz

Bclk = 200
CPU Multi = 19
RAM Multi = 8
Vcore = 1.248v
VTT = 1.15v
PCH = 1.05v
PLL = 1.86v

Peak temps with Prime95 is Core 0 at 62c. The other 3 cores maintain low 50s. Cooling with a 212 and a fairly well ventilated case.

Please give me feedback and any suggestions. Thanks!

More about : 760

April 19, 2011 7:53:45 AM

Vcore left at Normal or you entered the value manually? What board are you using and how many gigs of ram? What about advanced CPU features? You disabled c1e, eist etc?
m
l
April 19, 2011 12:47:49 PM

Vcore was manually increased.
Using Gigabytle P55-UD4P
4 Gigs of Corsair 1600 MHz RAM
Turbo has been turned off, Everything else was left on.
I read that c1e should be turned off if instability occurs. I did not have any so I left it on. Should it be off?
Also is that a pretty good Vcore or should I try to go lower?

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
April 19, 2011 1:05:46 PM

I am also against disabling features from the processors, after all you bought it for that features. Leave everything explicitily ENABLED in the advanced CPU features section in the Bios not AUTO. Disable only the Turbo boost if you want a constant OC (though you could OC with it). Now about the manually dialed in VCORE. There are some advantages there as you control directly the voltages of the CPU but you miss the lower volts on idle time, i am guessing you don't always stress the CPU. So i would suggest keeping everthing you have and changing the VCORE to Normal. That way you will see if you can OC with stock voltages and keeping the Speedstep enabled so the the volts will throttle down on idle time. When you enable Normal on VCORE you will see a feature enabling, it is called Dynamic VCore. Add or subtract the values you need to get 1.25v because i assume it is stable there. So with this change you have the best of two worlds.

P.S. : What is the Normal CPU VCore? You can see that entering the bios on the Voltage Control settings, also called CPU VID. For example if your CPU VID is 1.23 then select Normal on CPU VCore and add +0.02v on the DVID. That way when it loads it will add that to the normal vcore resulting to the 1.25 you have tested.
m
l
April 20, 2011 3:25:01 AM

I'm not familiar w/ the term speedstep and I'm not very familiar w/ doing anything with CPU VID or DVID
I did lower the Vcore to 1.2 and got max temps around 57c, about 10% cooler than before. I lowered it to stock voltage which is right around 1.04 I believe and got black screen on Windows load. Increased to 1.5 and booted just fine. I got temps topping out around 52ish. I did notice an interesting thing, HWMonitor showed that the Vcore my CPU was receiving was 1.15. Also I had the following errors on all 4 cores.
Core 0 - Sum Error - 32 minutes
Core 1 - Round Error - 10 minutes
Core 2 - Final Result Error - 5 hours
Core 3 - Sum Error - 30 minutes

What do those mean and what do you think of the changes?
Also why is it only showing a Vcore of 1.15. Previously it had showed the Vcore that I set it to in BIOS.

m
l
April 20, 2011 3:26:16 AM

To add to my previous post, I do see a DVID modifier but it appears to be locked and dont see a toggle to unlock it on my board.

Also my board has a feature called C.I.A.2 . Is anyone familiar with it? What does it do and do I want it running. It is disabled by default.
m
l
April 20, 2011 7:26:16 AM

When you go to the Advanced Voltage Settings, there is a voltage value on CPU VCORE. That is your stock VCORE. IF it is 1.04 as you say (and i doubt that) then you must select NORMAL on the right column and the DVID will be enabled. Then add as much voltage it needs to be working. As i said before IF the cpu vcore is 1.20000v and you found stable at 1.25000v then you add 0.05000v on the DVID and you have 1.25000. The reason i am saying this is that IF you ENABLE all the CPU features then it will downvolt on idle and load when it is stressed. i believe you want that. Please load default bios settings and start again, i don't want you to damage your pc. If you find it too difficult to comprehend what i am suggesting please return to your previous OC. temps and voltages were fine, i am just trying to help you fine tune your OC.
m
l
April 20, 2011 7:43:04 AM

I comphrend what you are saying. The previous issues occuring from tryign to drop the vcore too much.

I did as you said and it appears to be working, the Vcore at idle does appear to be lower than "normal" but not having any issues.

At idle CPU Vcore is at 1.02-1.04. "normal" Vcore in bios is roughly 1.1 and I have DVID set to .1 When load is applied to CPU, vcore increases to 1.2

I should continue to leave Turbo disabled right? and is anyone familiar w/ what CIA2 is?
m
l
April 20, 2011 10:32:41 AM

That is the normal operation for that CPU. You don't need to pump 1.2v all the time to the CPU. 80% of the time the CPU idles. So it is nice to drop the volts. I personally OC the way i said above but with an i5 750, so i can leave turbo ON. In your case with an extra multiplier i don't know how far can you push. Maybe start from BCLK 150 and TURBO on. Make sure again to explicitily ENABLE all the CPU features and leave Turbo DISABLED for the time being. I don;t know what CIA2 is, you can google it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 20, 2011 7:57:08 PM

Did you stress test?I doubt you can maintain a 24h prime 95 stable pc with less than 1.25v at 3.8ghz.

You should use IBT maximum stress and run 50 runs.If that's stable,you're fine.Also,I suggest disabling c1e in contrary to what darkling said.This really screws up overclocks.Speedstep can remain enabled.Turbo is also not recommended for anything over 160mhz bclck as it increases the frequency too much and in turn requires a stable high voltage.
CIA2 is an automatic oc function which increases the bclk by a small margin when the m/b detects cpu load.
m
l
April 21, 2011 7:13:55 AM

You can disable c1e and select Balanced Power plan, but users must realize that all articles on overclocking are aiming for the highest possible OC. Most of us try to get a little more performance from the existing hardware. C1e will start limiting overclocks that are beyond 4.0ghz. I OC fine with all CPU features enabled and i have tried both ways, static oc at 3.8 or with turbo enabled and it worked. Most article start their analysis saying that you must disable all feautures like Turbo, C-states etc. because they might limit the OC. But they also say that you can enable them once you find a stable OC.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2011 11:49:27 AM

C1E and Speedstep drop the voltage to levels you can't stress test.You may be stable at 4ghz full load but you may get a BSOD while writing a critical report in word.I can also tell you that c1e makes my overclock unstable at full load when I get over stock voltages.Speedstep on the other hand is fine with a static voltage setting as only the cpu multiplier and not the voltages.
About Turbo,I simply pointed out that it may make an overclock unstable if the resulting frequency is over 3.8ghz.
m
l
April 21, 2011 12:02:54 PM

^ Do you really need your PC to running at 1.3v 4Ghz while watching a movie or browsing the web? Speedstep is useless with a manual set VCORE. You don't achieve anything if the voltage is constant. Anyway as i said before, C1E can be disabled if a Balanced Power plan is selected in Win 7 power options. I don't know maybe the users who OC at 4GHZ don;t really care about efficiency and life span. A lot of people do though and they should be advised accordingly.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652...
m
l
!