Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard drive noise

Last response: in Storage
February 2, 2011 9:33:49 PM

Hi everyone. This morning I noticed my hard drive makes a faint, high pitched buzzing sound. It only occurs when the drive is accessed (opening folders, files), or when opening/loading a browser window. I have run CHKDSK and the HP TuneUp utility and have passed both tests with no problems. The computer itself is only a month old. Is this just regular drive access noise? :o 

More about : hard drive noise

Best solution

February 2, 2011 10:01:39 PM

It could be normal noise from read write heads moving. it would be best to check your hard drive with a utility that is from the same company that made the hard drive. e.g. seagate / seatools or western digital / data lifeguard tools. Noise from hard drives is normal but unusual and persistent clicking noises is not. Better to be safe.
February 2, 2011 11:56:08 PM

It's a SeaGate drive so I installed Sea Tools and ran the read tests as well as the diagnostic self-tests. All passed - and strangely the drive never made the buzzing sound during any of the tests. There isn't the clicking sound (thank goodness) though I will continue to monitor it. Might just be something I never heard before :sarcastic: 
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2011 10:16:09 PM

I have also noticed there is a correlation between the noise and my mouse (it's a Razer Copperhead) - moving the mouse and using the scroll wheel always causes the noise. It's sounds like a drive access noise. Normal?
m
l
April 8, 2011 12:20:23 AM

Best answer selected by 808rob.
m
l
!