guessswh0

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
OK, so this might be a fairly complicated question, but I hope someone can understand and help provide a solution. I'm pulling my hair out.

There are two different routers at my place. One I will call linksys (which has the default linksys wrt54g firmware on it) and one that I will call dd-wrt (has dd-wrt as its firmware).

Linksys is upstairs, and hooked up to the internet. DD-wrt is downstairs and has no modem to hook into. What I was doing was having dd-wrt act as a repeater bridge and it was connected as a client to linksys's network.

The network on linksys was a 192.168.1.x network, and the network on dd-wrt was a 192.168.2.x network.

What I want to be able to do is VPN in to a computer, that's residing on the dd-wrt network. But to do this, it would obviously have to go through the linksys network, and then be routed to dd-wrt (since dd-wrt is connected as a client to the linksys network). I setup port forwarding, and even in sheer desperation I set ports 1-5000 to be forwarded to 192.168.1.100 (dd-wrt's IP address on linksys's network). I then had dd-wrt forwarding all requests on ports 1-5000 to 192.168.2.117 (the computer on the dd-wrt network that I want to act as my VPN server).

However, no connection is ever made. It's getting lost somewhere. I'm thinking it has to be (obviously) somewhere in the transition from the 192.168.1 network to the 192.168.2 network. I've tried putting dd-wrt in a dmz on linksys's network, and the computer I want receiving the connection on the dmz in dd-wrt's network, but to no avail.

Anyone have suggestions which would make this work? I need some help.
Thanks

JustAGuy51

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
As far as what you described, things make sense and correct. Some points to check:

1. On dd-wrt, does it need Static NAT?
2. Use tcpdump or wireshark to troubleshoot your issue. Use them on VPN initiating PC and terminating server.

sturm

Splendid
Have you setup a default route for the 195.168.2 network on the linksys router pointing to 192.168.1.100? The linksys router does not know about the 192.168.2 network since all it sees is stuff coming from 192.168.1.100. You need to tell it where to find the other network.