Sign in with
Your question

External Hard drives - A reliable/sturdy one

Last response: in Storage
February 2, 2011 11:34:11 PM

Hello,If anyone can help me so I could stop going crazy, I'd appreciate it. I need to replace my son's external hard drive and there are so many with so many different reviews, I've been researching for hours. I'd like to get a 1TB to 2TB, with a 3.0/2.0 USB, that's tough and reliable and isn't a ridiculous price. If anyone has any suggestions, especially first hand experience, it would be great. I had a Maxtor, it broke after a year, my son lost everything that was on it, and returned it and got another one. Now, after less than a year, it is working when it feels like it. I am afraid it will go before he has a chance to back it up, and he will lose everything again. After the first incident, we realized we needed a backup for the backup, which we did for the most part. But he's away at school and he doesn't have access to the one I have at home, and his school work, movies and games are on there. He didn't have a chance to back everything up before he left. If it goes before we back it up, he will lose everything again. It's costing me more money to back up the computer than the computer costs. I'd like to keep the cost about $100.00 or just little more. Thanks for any help.
February 7, 2011 1:26:57 AM

tecmo34 said:
This would be my recommendation: Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB USB 3.0/USB 2.0 Black External Hard Drive WDBACW0010HBK-NESN

I have an older 500GB model, which has run flawless for me since I've purchased it. Western Digital makes great products... IMO

Thank you for your help. My son picked western digital at the start, then his friend talked him out of it. I like to go by first hand experience, like yours, so I will consider it. Iomega is the other one I had been considering. It got really good reviews, but that doesn't always mean anything. I had Maxtor for a long time, I had three of them and I still love them. My son took his Maxtor to his dorm and he's had nothing but trouble. He needs something very durable because I'm sure it gets knocked around. Whenever it comes to electronics, with all the products out there, it's like a 50 50 chance of what you get. Sometimes your lucky and have no problelms, others are lemons from the day you buy them. Thanks again for your input.
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2011 5:14:14 AM

Am telling you, you will keep spending tons of money not until you switch to online backups. This is an effortless way of saving your critical data in a remote and safe place. Despite of the computer crashes or any sort of disaster, you can always access your data from any web browser whenever you like. I used to use Ext. hd, CDs and still use them occasionally to backup my data. But they are such a frustration. In case of any disaster like fire, theft, virus, floods..you lose them all with your stuff there.

So I personally backup online at www.safecopybackup.com. With this service, am rest assured of a huge peace of mind knowing that my data safe and am able to securely access anywhere on this planet. After installing it, the backup starts immediately automatically runs in the background without clogging your computer or work. They have free 3GB account if you can try them out. Or choose a backup of your own choice using this review; www.backuplineup.com. Good Luck!
m
l
February 10, 2011 1:26:02 PM

Wynand12 said:
Am telling you, you will keep spending tons of money not until you switch to online backups. This is an effortless way of saving your critical data in a remote and safe place. Despite of the computer crashes or any sort of disaster, you can always access your data from any web browser whenever you like. I used to use Ext. hd, CDs and still use them occasionally to backup my data. But they are such a frustration. In case of any disaster like fire, theft, virus, floods..you lose them all with your stuff there.

So I personally backup online at www.safecopybackup.com. With this service, am rest assured of a huge peace of mind knowing that my data safe and am able to securely access anywhere on this planet. After installing it, the backup starts immediately automatically runs in the background without clogging your computer or work. They have free 3GB account if you can try them out. Or choose a backup of your own choice using this review; www.backuplineup.com. Good Luck!

Thanks for your response. How secure is online backup? I always feel someone can get access to our files that way. My son has 2Tb external hard drives and they are filled. Wouldn't this run into a big expense?
m
l
!