burn1021

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
hello all let me start by saying how much i love this website, secondly im having probs with my i7 920 do stepping with no overclock.

according to intel and the posts ive seen here state that the optimal temp threshhold for said processor is 67.9 celsius. however, im also aware that this is at the tcase or thermal spreader or "cpu temp". according to intel the actual threshhold for the cores themselves are 80.2 celsius thats a lil less than 20% more. so my question is simply this. at idle my cores are sitting between 42-44 and with prime 95 at 100% load im hitting 67 degrees to 68 degrees with cm after market fan. however my actual cpu or "tcase" is sitting at 25 degrees celsius. yes my temps are falling about 12 degrees lower than temp threshhold for the cores but am i wrong to be concerned?

MGDJoker

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
reseat the CPU cooler and make sure that u eiter didnt put too much thermal paste on it or too little. I wouldnt put anymore than about the size of a pea on the cpu. make sure its sitting nice and snug too on the motherboard, and making full contact on the chip

burn1021

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
i have done said idea joker and i still dont know what the prob might be. i mean as long as i fall within those guidelines i should be fine i.e no room for thermal nuclear meltdown in my case. should i view it as you would a ford? it might not run right but at least its not blown up?

Andy2008

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
"processor is 67.9 celsius. however, im also aware that this is at the tcase or thermal spreader or "cpu temp". according to intel the actual threshhold for the cores themselves are 80.2 celsius thats a lil less than 20% more."

Actually, you can't compare temperatures that way. You have to use a temperature scale which has its zero at absolute zero, so what you refer to as about 20% is more like 3.5%.

Andrew

burn1021

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
i swear are intel techs really this stupid?

this is an actual convo im having right now with an intel tech.

Adolfo: Hello. Thank you for visiting Intel Customer Support. How can I help?

you: can you tell me what the max temp threshold for my processors cores. i know the webite says 67.9 but according to that website it says thats for tcase or cpu not cores

you: so can you tell me?

Adolfo: Currently we only handle measure the CPU temperature itself

Adolfo: So we do not have cores temperature.

Adolfo: Keep in mind that you do not need to worry about the temperature of each core, only about the temperature of CPU itself.

you: so then how am i to know if my cpu is overheating.... this is very frustrating because i had a intel person tell me earlier 20% more would be the core temps safe zone now your saying you dont offer that information.... that makes no since at all!

Adolfo: As long as the CPU is running below 67.9 degrees Celsius, it is running under specifications, if the CPU is running above 67.9 degrees Celsius, then the processor will be overheating.

you: so your saying the temperatures of the cores them selves do not matter?

Adolfo: that is correct

you: ok well to me that doesnt seem correct but ok

you: thanks

conversation ended.

Please understand I'm not taking a shot, but it appears to me you may be obsessing and would benefit from walking away to take a deep breath and relax.

Both Intel techs, and the guide here say that if your overall isn't passing 67, then your processor isn't overheating. It's not difficult. You indicate in your earlier post that your *Core* temps are approximately that, and that Intel's limit for individual cores is 80.

I do not see a problem here.

burn1021

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
my biggest problem is that i dont wanna be left holding the bag. whats meant by that is according to intel if my cpu were to fail due to overheating or unecessary heat that could've been otherwise prevented by me then i am responsible and they will not replace. aswell, according to the person before you i was reading my temp threshold wrong according to how you read temps which makes sense, and now intels saying " oh dont worry about "core temps" only about overall cpu temps". however, to me that doesnt seem correct i mean if a core hits 100 degrees but the overall cpu stays at 67.9 percent thats not going to have some ill affect? "yes i know the temp would be much hotter if that were the case" im just trying to protect my investment.

...but you already said that your individual core temps are around 67 degrees, and that Intel's guidance for individual cores is 80. While you are apparently reading the wrong output for your tCase - you are still clearly well within Intel's guidance for the processor.

Again, I don't see a problem and feel that you're obsessing overly much.

macelo

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
your temps are fine.

When i first got my 920 D0 I OC'd it to 3.2ghz with the stock cooler and ran the everest CPU benchmarks. My cores hit 90C+!!! My computer was blowing some HOT air. My first week I had it I was using the stock cooler and it was constantly around 50C idle and 75C load on games, not benchmarks, at mild overclocks. It was so HOT. But basically nothing is wrong with it now, and after getting an aftermarket cooler (V8) it idles at 45-50C and maxes at 65C at 3.6ghz in games. I think you are concerned that you are/have/will be damaging your CPU with the temps you are getting. They are OK. If you do some googling you will see lots of people have hit 90C load temps with the stock cooler. My advice is you should do some research first, google it. These CPUs run HOT.

Looking at your temps that you are getting, they are in line with others. No worries.

burn1021

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
ok i hear ya guys but i do have one more question before i put this too rest i have spoken to two techs today and they both agree with intel in that tcase or overall cpu temp is more important than cores themselves. so as long as my tcase or cpu temp doesnt hit 67.9 celsius im fine. do you agree with that?

Yep. In fact you can go over that as well, the CPU will drop out of turbo mode above that temp and if it gets hot enough it will cut down the clock further, eventually shutting down if you push it far enough. All of this is designed to prevent the CPU from getting damaged by excessive heat.

But in terms of a suitable target temperature for a fully loaded processor, the 67.9 is the Intel "thermal solution" design target.