Can't overclock i7 920 over 3ghz??

I have Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard with i7 920 processor. I am a newbie in overclocking, but looking at some guides, I managed to overclock from 2.66 ghz to 3 ghz by changing the BCLK in the bios from 133 to 150.

I just got a new fan and power and though that I could overclock this processor much more, but if I go over 150 BCLK, when I start the computer, it shuts down straight away. When it goes on again it goes back to stock GHZ, goes on the bios and says something like 'there was change in voltage settings reset to defaults' etc...

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem here? My cooler fan is Noctua.
7 answers Last reply
More about overclock 3ghz
  1. Well it actually says 'The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes in voltage'.

It's strange as everybody says that I should be able to overclock up to 3.4 ghz by just changing the BLCK, but anything above 3ghz (150 blck) causes this issue.

Perhaps I don't have enough thermal grease on my cpu?
  2. Ok. Updated the BIOS of my motherboard, and now it lets me go higher :)

I have now overclocked from 2.66 ghz -> 3.2 ghz with everything on AUTO settings, just by changing the BCLK.

Seems stable so far so I think I will stay here, I don't dare to overclock any more as I don't really know what I am doing..
  3. It's a bit strange but my Processor runs a bit hot even I have latest Noctua fan installed.
    Idle temp in all cores is 58 degrees. I played crysis 2 for half an hour (after overclocking to 3.4ghz) and then coretemp shut down my computer automatically. I have set it to shut down automatically at 90 degrees (core temp), so got a bit scared and downclocked back to 3.2ghz.

However from the bios I have set it so that my computer will alarm if the processor temp goes to 80 degrees, so it cannot be that bad can it as I didn't hear the alarm?

Strange tho as what I read is that Noctua fan especially should easily be able to handle these overclocks..???

Perhaps I don't have enough thermal grease on my cpu after all?
  4. AUTO for core voltage will sometimes run a bit higher than it really needs to. Here's what I'd do:

Get a prog that shows current voltage to the CPU.
    Run Prime 95 or like, for a little while to get load to 100%
    Look at the voltage on the prog
    Set bios to this voltage.
    Begin ratcheting down the voltage to find the lowest stable voltage for your OC.

That's the key to keeping that chip cool, all about the volts. Some chips will have to run more volts to hit those medium OCs than others, so don't listen to other people about upper limit stuff, as your chip is different than theirs.

Also sounds like maybe you need more case air flow.

edit: oh yeah, also the thermal grease, it is much better to use less than more.
  5. Anonymous said:
    It's a bit strange but my Processor runs a bit hot even I have latest Noctua fan installed.
    Idle temp in all cores is 58 degrees. I played crysis 2 for half an hour (after overclocking to 3.4ghz) and then coretemp shut down my computer automatically. I have set it to shut down automatically at 90 degrees (core temp), so got a bit scared and downclocked back to 3.2ghz.

However from the bios I have set it so that my computer will alarm if the processor temp goes to 80 degrees, so it cannot be that bad can it as I didn't hear the alarm?

Strange tho as what I read is that Noctua fan especially should easily be able to handle these overclocks..???

Perhaps I don't have enough thermal grease on my cpu after all?

...or maybe too much. You only need a very slight coating.
  6. @festerovic Thanks a lot for your comment! I just opened my computer and the case fan was indeed on low setting. I set it to medium and (even my computer is now louder) now immediately my idle temp has dropped down to 52-54 degrees.

I will see how it feels with these setups (and keep the clock to 3.2ghz as it currently is) and if it seems to get hot again I start to adjust the voltage like you said.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Intel i7 Processors