Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Trying to install first SATA hard drive monitor doesn't work

Last response: in Storage
February 3, 2011 3:36:50 AM

How Do I over come this issue? I plug in everything and boot up my computer but my monitor doesn't turn on. The screen remains blank so I am unable to format my new HD.

Best solution

a c 289 G Storage
February 3, 2011 12:06:46 PM

First, don't worry about the HDD until you can get the machine to boot as far as BIOS.
The archetypal directions for doing this concern isolating the problem:
1) Remove all disk drives. If the card has built-in graphics, connect your monitor to them and remove your graphics card.
2) Check that the monitor is plugged in. Seriously.
3) Remove all but the minimum number of memory modules needed to run. Many boards will start with only one module, even if they are triple-channel. If not, populate only the first slot in each channel.

Now that we're down to the minimum number of components, turn the machine on. Do the fans turn? Do little lights turn on on the motherboard? Are there any beep codes? Do you see the BIOS screen on your monitor or not?

If there's dead silence, we look at the power supply. If you see the BIOS, you can start putting parts back in one at a time until something breaks, then replace the guilty part. If there's power to the board but no BIOS, we'll look at indicators such as beep codes and lights.

What kind of motherboard are you using?
February 4, 2011 4:03:11 AM

WyomingKnott said:
First, don't worry about the HDD until you can get the machine to boot as far as BIOS.
The archetypal directions for doing this concern isolating the problem:
1) Remove all disk drives. If the card has built-in graphics, connect your monitor to them and remove your graphics card.
2) Check that the monitor is plugged in. Seriously.
3) Remove all but the minimum number of memory modules needed to run. Many boards will start with only one module, even if they are triple-channel. If not, populate only the first slot in each channel.

Now that we're down to the minimum number of components, turn the machine on. Do the fans turn? Do little lights turn on on the motherboard? Are there any beep codes? Do you see the BIOS screen on your monitor or not?

If there's dead silence, we look at the power supply. If you see the BIOS, you can start putting parts back in one at a time until something breaks, then replace the guilty part. If there's power to the board but no BIOS, we'll look at indicators such as beep codes and lights.

What kind of motherboard are you using?

Alright I will try this, I was fiddling with it all day today just trying to have patiance. I'll put up more info but as far as I can remember its a Nvidia sdi (or something else) ready fox conn mother board. No beeps when I turn it on but all of the fans turn on, lights on the mother board turn on, even my LED lights. Right now my fiance is asleep lol so I will post some more tomorrow. Thank you for all of your help. Oh and no built in graphics card, its a Nvidia GeForce 8800 and there is also a Big foot network Killer K1 card. I'm hoping its the power supply but things are looking a little dim right now. Trying to stay positive!
m
l
Related resources
February 4, 2011 9:10:07 PM

Best answer selected by orellin.
m
l
February 4, 2011 9:13:50 PM

Ok so its an Alienware Aurora 7500
Foxconn C51XEM2AA motherboard
AMD Athlon 64x2 microprocessor
NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI
four 240-pin DIMM sockets
Six Serial ATA II connectors, 300 MBps data transfer rate
RAID
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
February 5, 2011 7:51:43 PM

Any progress?

Congrats on being engaged. Been married 25+ years, myself.
m
l
February 13, 2011 2:57:26 PM

Unfortunately no luck. When I first attempted to fix it a couple months ago the monitor worked. Then this last time it didn't work, works on my laptop though. I don't have the resources to try a new video card if that was the issue, job coming my way though so there is the end to my problems:)  And thank you very much! I enjoy being engaged I can't wait to enjoy the married life. My family seems to have bad luck with marriage but I'm trying to change that lol! Congratulations to your long marriage.
m
l
!