Switching from RAID 1 to RAID 0

drmcninjaa

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Good afternoon,

I recently came upon a Optiplex 960 with two hard drives in RAID 1 configuration. Not thinking correctly, I installed Windows 7 (x64) onto the drive forgetting to switch to RAID level 0. Is there any possible way I can switch from RAID 1 to RAID 0 without reinstall? A reinstall is not out of the question, I will use Acronis to image my computer, reset the RAID level, and do it that way. However, I'd like to avoid the downtime of reimaging a computer and just switch RAID levels.

Write speed is more important to me than read speed, and I have redundant backups onto a few portable hard drives anyway. As such, RAID 1 is rather useless to me.

Thank you!

Solution
Seems to me that you would still have the same total amount of space, just not in a single image.

If you put your source files on one drive, and the output on the other, I suspect your editing would go oven faster.
Try it and see.
Why do you want raid-0?
The performance benefits are much overhyped, and are limited to large sequential reads.
http://www.storagereview.com/php/cms/cms.php?loc=news_content&id=970&start=6&range=10

Since your raid-1 drives are identical, just reconfigure to non raid and use your second drive independently.
AHCI is a subset of raid, and would be the preferred sata mode(vs. IDE). It is not clear to me if your install included the AHCI drivers, and a reinstall may be needed if not. If you get boot problems, leave the settings to raid-1, but do not include either drive as part of the array.

drmcninjaa

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

Simply put without it I would only have about 350 gigs of space. Which isn't going to be enough in the long run. I do a lot of movie and music editing and, as you may know, this takes TONS of hard drive space.

I'm pretty sure I have AHCI in the bios, the computer is only around 9 months old. I'm mainly curious because it wouldn't seem like it would be very hard to remove the mirror and allow raid 0 directly.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
There's no way to switch from mirrored to striped without destroying the mirrored array and creating a striped one. It just isn't possible.

Image the drive, reconfigure it and restore the image.

Seems to me that you would still have the same total amount of space, just not in a single image.

If you put your source files on one drive, and the output on the other, I suspect your editing would go oven faster.
Try it and see.

Solution