GA-P35C-DS3R overklok resetting

layne123

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
E6750 Overkloked from default 2.66 to 3.6 GHz. Works fine for the most part.
I have a SATA RAID 0 partitioned into 2 equal partitions. One for gaming and one for working.
Many times when I boot into the WORK partition, the bios resets to defaults. Sometimes when I go back into the bios to set back to overklok settings, they don't take.
When the bios settings don't take, I use the "load optimal defaults" setting in the bios, then go back and set up how I like. Sometimes this works immediately, other times I need to mess with it a few times for it to "stick" at the 3.6Ghz overklok.
I don't like to remove the CMOS battery as its under my beast of a GPU, yet when I reset the CMOS by removing the battery MOST times when I set the bios back to my overklok settings, they stick on the first boot into GAMES partition. Usually at some point when I boot to WORK partition, the overklok settings in the bios again reset.

I'm in the GAMES partition now so I can't see what version of bios I'm on, yet I'm 99% sure its the latest and greatest.

Why would my bios care what partition I boot to and is there any way to permanently resolve this overklok annoyance?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

bilbat

Splendid
You probably simply need to 'back off' on the overclock a bit; a four-fifty system clock is getting pretty much 'to the edge' for the P35C chipset - they were pretty much a 'failed' Intel experiment, and never have proved very stable in any of their implementations...

You can save your CMOS setup - here's a 'chunk' of one of my 'standardized' overclocks:

Before we start ramping things up, I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS; notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I always urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

As to the reason that one system 'burps up' more often - you're right, the BIOS doesn't care - but the system does! Likely, one of your setups is just stressing the system more than the other, and, therefore, 'croaks'...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts