HD 4770 availability

zealotz

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
When is this video card available on the market? and what is the reason why this card evaporate in a very short time? can anybody have a know site that can answer this question.

fpoama

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
The manufacturer of the cards is moving its production process to 40nm and the yields have been pretty poor and a good portion of them were unable to be used. So until they fix their 40nm process of manufacturing the cards, there will be a shortage.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

TSMC is the one with the yield issue, not the card manufacturers.

zealotz

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009

TSMC this means?

Somebody told me that there was a shortage of hd 4770 due to shortage of parts. but i don't belive it. I think ati don't release hd 4770 cause nobody will buy there other cards like 4670, 4830, 4850, 4870 etc. cause hd 4770 is cheap and run quite good on every game. and all ati dealer will lost big. but i'm not sure of this, just a thought. anybody has a precise answer or a site to link why it is not available. Would be nice,  actually I need buy 250 pcs. of this card to my internet gaming cafe now in renovation. but if this card won’t be available i think i'l be buying card from nvidea maybe 9800 gso or gt.

any help would be much apreciated thans in advance :)

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009

lol +1

Honestly, I don't think anyone knows when the 4770s will be back in stock. As for why they are out of stock, supposedly it's because of a shortage of 40nm chips.

TSMC this means?

TSMC is a company. It seems that they can't produce enough 40 nanometer chips for the demand.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

This

Er, no, actually the HD4770 should be significantly cheaper for ATI to produce due to a smaller die size and bus size. So getting the HD4770 out there is a big win for ATI. The only reason that ATI can't keep them on the shelves is TSMC's well known yield issues with 40 nm. This effects Nvidia as well since they use the same company to produce their chips (though so far they are only using 40nm for mobile GPUs).

With HD4850s as cheap as they are I'd go with ATI instead.

zealotz

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009

hmmm but the problem is using hd4850 is not a electricity efficient card plus it is hot. cause i will be using this card in my internet gaming cafe. anybody please suggest any card for me i'm also looking at hd 4670 or hd 4830 but i'm not sure of this one. plan to try one of this card.

by the way i will be using 17" monitor @ 1440 by 900

sanders4617

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Its not that hard to find a 4770 in stock. You just gotta check very often with different dealers. ewiz.com is where I bought mine for $90 + shipping.

Although I see deals there now like a 4870 for $119 after MIR and discount. :( That is the 1 GB version.

Actually compared to the GTX250 / GF9800GTX the card is more 'electricity efficient' as you put it, and as cool when both run fans at max;

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/mainstream-roundup-2_20.html#sect0

However if you get an HD4850 don't get the reference cooler (which is actually the minority nowadays) get the ones with the 2 slot coolers (usually the Zalmans nowadays) it'll be better cooling.

Just get the card that performs best for the money.

I actually prefer not relying on total system power consumption since a variety of components can influence total power consumption.

Below is Xbitlab's power consumption strictly for the video card. As can be seen the GTS 250 / 9800GTX+ does in fact consume about 30w less power than the HD 4850.

palit250_power.png

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/palit-gf250gts_6.html#sect0

I usually do to, but their most recent review dropped the reading off the PCIe slot + connectors. But that's usually most useful for PSU concerns.

If he's looking at cost to operate for the cafe, then the pull at the wall would matter most, right?

All things being equal, I find it a bit strange that while the GTS 250 draws 30w less power than the HD 4850, overall power consumption is greater. It's due to load variation on all of the components at a specific point in time.

Therefore, dropping in a GTS 250 in the same system as the HD 4850 should yield lower power consumption.

However, there is more to power consumption than just the individual components. The PSU's power efficiency has the greatest influence on total system power consumption. The less efficient the PSU is the more power will be drawn from the AC outlet to be converted into DC power. The excess will be wasted as heat and noise. Therefore, a good quality 80 Plus certified PSU is recommended.

80 Plus basically means that at any given load, the efficiency never drops below 80%. There are different levels of 80 Plus as well: Bronze, Silver, Gold. Each level means higher minimum levels of efficiency.

Below is a good resource for PSUs which I use since I look for both efficiency and low noise:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/section10.html

I tend to use Seasonic PSUs.

Seasonic S12 500w in my HTPC - From 2006 before the 80 Plus certification was introduced.

Seasonic S12II 550w in my primary PC - This is 80 Plus "Bronze" certified; Minimum 82% efficiency.

I understand what you're saying, but be it PSU efficiency, or higher/lower CPU utilization, or dynamic clocking, the end result in the power use realm is what you see at the plug, it relates to the performance seen in the review. I don't assume more than that.

If the question were PSU draw at the connectors, I'd lean towards the later, if it's power consumption at the wall I'd lean towards the former.
You mention efficiency, however the Thermaltake Toughpower XT 850W they used for their review gets 83% at 100% load (and usually above 85%) in real-world testing by both [H] and DriverHeaven, so it matches it's rated efficiency and also fits within your parameters of 80+. So I assume that's a moot point for this question.

Either way, the end result is the same IMO, between the cards mentioned, pick the one that performs best in the game he think he or his patrons will play.

zealotz

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009

Really that is very cheap 4870 @ $119, back to hd 4770 the reason why this is very hard to find because I need 250 pcs. of this card and nobody can provide me with this quantity.

You'll have a tough time for a while, supposedly TSMC only recently (like 2 weeks ago) fixed their 40nm issues, which translates to slow ramp up of production, no back stock, then the time to market from the AIBs (usually a few weeks), and then you hit pent-up demand.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're scarce in that kind of quantity for a few more weeks.