Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What to cool first? CPU or GPU?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 20, 2011 12:27:44 AM

My graphics card runs hotter than my CPU.

Think I should buy something to cool the CPU?
Or should I buy something to cool the GPU?
Or maybe there's something to cool both? :) 

GPU: Radeon 6970 2G
CPU: AMD 1090 X6

I haven't overclocked yet, I plan to do some overclocking later, but it runs perfectly as it is right now.

Should I look into liquid cooling? :) 

I have lots of extra cash. :) 

More about : cool cpu gpu

a b K Overclocking
April 20, 2011 1:46:23 AM

Well it depends on many factors...

-How much are you willing to spend?

-Which part do you plan to keep for the longest?

-What are your temps as of now for the parts?

-Which part do you plan to overclock?

There are some great kits for cooling just a CPU... you could do a custom setup as well which may run you a bit of extra dough but is more customizable and easy to upgrade.

Check out the sticky at the top of the watercooling forum for some extra info on liquid cooling!

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a c 100 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 20, 2011 10:25:12 AM

GPUs always run hotter than CPUs and they can handle much higher temps. There is little point in overclocking the GPU as it will be held back by the CPU unless you are using multiple monitors. If you have a load of extra cache a good move would be to upgrade to sandy bridge or wait for bulldozer. A hyper 212+ should let you get your CPU to around 4GHz.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 280 K Overclocking
April 20, 2011 1:22:01 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

1- GPUs can run hotter (not extreme hotter) without problems, CPUs in the other hand works better, overclock better and performs better with better temps.
2- What are your current temps?
3- Do you want overclock? How much?
4- What exactly budget do you have?
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 20, 2011 1:27:58 PM

Quote:
I haven't overclocked yet, I plan to do some overclocking later, but it runs perfectly as it is right now.

Should I look into liquid cooling?

I have lots of extra cash.

All of these are preference. I think you have some reading and catching up to do before you decide which route you want to go...air or water. The questions you are asking can only be answered by you and only after you get a feel of what is going to be needed for watercooling.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265776-29-watercooling-info-faqs-links-stickies
April 20, 2011 5:48:38 PM

Best answer selected by Ekarc.
!