Xp disc does not accept product key

croak2012

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Hi,

bought new mobo,cpu and oem xp disc on ebay.
disc says my product key is wrong and will not let me install xp.

seller says that this is the right product key.
could there be any other reason for this not to install?

-could it be because I had another xp/ubuntu dual boot on the hard drive before installation(would the disc check this).
-the use of ide to sata adapter?

I'm sure I tried to leave the product key blank and it still refused... or maybe not...

maybe I'm being silly and the only option that I have is to install the disc(without filling in product key) and reactivate through microsoft...

suggestions?

Is that OEM disk home made on a CD-RW disk?

or..

An OEM disk might not be for that board, thus the seller is telling a partial truth. It can be an OEM disk, but for what computer?

croak2012

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
It is an original cd and he gave me the product key on a printed peice of paper - from the last owner i guess.
are oem discs specifically made for certain boards? - if so could it be the ide to sata adapter?

thanks

It won't be because of that adapter. Just remember the letters OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Sometimes an OEM disk will specify what computer it was made for. Another common problem with using an OEM disk in a different computer is Setup stops to announce a certain file cannot be copied and wants you to decide either to stop setup (and the installation) or ignore the problem and continue. Expect this error several times during install. If you ignore and continue, the install is always bad and Windows won't run when Setup finally completes installing a broken XP in the computer.

If you a sleuth at all,you can read some of the ".inf" files on the OEM disk and maybe learn what machine it was actually made for.

A piece of paper is not a certificate of authenticity. The seller cannot say it's a legitimate CD without it. Right about now I'd be asking for a refund or report seller to ebay for copyright infringement. If the seller sends a list of different product keys and says to try them all, one will eventually work, definitely report them to ebay.

croak2012

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
the guy said the disc goes with the motherboard. I had to reset the bios so the hard drive could be detected through the ide to sata adapter - could this have caused the problem?

the reason for the paper licence was because this was a second hand motherboard that included the "original" windows xp disc.
Hence the digging for alternative answers. or am I just kidding myself and the guy has scammed me?

could it just be that the copy needs to be reactivate...

thanks

The reactivation occurs after Windows is up and running. You will not get setup to install without a CD key.

The seller could be trying to do everything on the "up and up" but should have provided the certificate of authenticity even if he/she put clear packing tape over the one affixed on the original computer and peeled if off that way. Windows is licensed for one computer, and since you bought the one computer it was licensed for, it could all turn out legit, but not really without the COA. It is not a light thing to be missing the COA, it is your "seal of approval" that your OS is legitimate.

Resetting the BIOS to failsafe defaults will not cause Setup to reject the CD.

If it just won't install, it is not incorrect to return it for refund. Maybe someone else will have a better outcome. Since you have no COA, this is the suggested thing to do.

croak2012

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

yeah of course it only gets activated afterwards! = Im losing it! lol.

getting desperate for an answer I know I'm not going to get lol.

I was pretty miffed about the paper licence...but he assured me...

frustrating after all the effort , etc. but I'll stop fishing...

thanks again!