Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU Cooler for MSI P67A-GD65 with Corsair Vengeance Memory

Last response: in Overclocking
April 20, 2011 1:38:10 AM

I'm looking for a CPU cooler for my computer which won't interfere with my 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 memory modules (2x4GB). I had been planning to get the CoolerMaster HY 212 Plus but my measurements show interference with the fancy heat sink on the Vengeance memory module in slot 1. I'd appreciate any suggestions

My configuration:
Intel i7 2600K w/stock cooler
MSI P67A-65GD(B3) motherboard
8GB Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) memory
Sapphire 1GB HD Radeon 8650 video card
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA drive
Antec 300 case
Corsair TX750 V2 power supply

Hank
a c 163 } Memory
a c 291 K Overclocking
April 20, 2011 1:53:38 PM

Hi.

You should not have any problem with the Hyper 212+, but if you want go for sure, avoid problems and your budget is enought, then, Thermalright Archo, Thermalright Silver Arrow, Noctua NH-D14 and Titan Fenrir fit without problems.
Score

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
April 20, 2011 8:57:53 PM

Hank119 said:
I'm looking for a CPU cooler for my computer which won't interfere with my 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 memory modules (2x4GB). I had been planning to get the CoolerMaster HY 212 Plus but my measurements show interference with the fancy heat sink on the Vengeance memory module in slot 1. I'd appreciate any suggestions

My configuration:
Intel i7 2600K w/stock cooler
MSI P67A-65GD(B3) motherboard
8GB Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) memory
Sapphire 1GB HD Radeon 8650 video card
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA drive
Antec 300 case
Corsair TX750 V2 power supply

Hank

I have the same ram and motherboard and im using the Prolimatech Armageddon and im able to use 4 sticks of ram if i wanted...i have my ram on the 1st slot without it hitting the fan on the heatsink...It also cools my cpu really well...On prime 95 for 5 hours i get 50-55c avg at 4.2ghz at 1.210volts...This is also using 2 140 80cfm Gelid fans in a push pull setup..The fans aren't loud at all either for 80cfm...

Prolimatech Armageddon $49.99 at svc.com

If svc.com doesn't have anymore i would suggest the Thermalright Archon...They are both similar in style...

Here's a picture of my build..

http://www.myphotos.yahoo.com/s/20zwi8fye0ub1y1gw6ys
Related resources
April 21, 2011 4:19:37 AM

thermalright archon is awesome it's my current cooler and i highly recommend it if you have the cash
Score
April 21, 2011 4:40:00 AM

Bigmac80 said:
I have the same ram and motherboard and im using the Prolimatech Armageddon and im able to use 4 sticks of ram if i wanted...i have my ram on the 1st slot without it hitting the fan on the heatsink...It also cools my cpu really well...On prime 95 for 5 hours i get 50-55c avg at 4.2ghz at 1.210volts...This is also using 2 140 80cfm Gelid fans in a push pull setup..The fans aren't loud at all either for 80cfm...

Prolimatech Armageddon $49.99 at svc.com

If svc.com doesn't have anymore i would suggest the Thermalright Archon...They are both similar in style...

Here's a picture of my build..

http://www.myphotos.yahoo.com/s/20zwi8fye0ub1y1gw6ys

Quote:
Nice picture
It looks from your picture as if the fan is behind the memory module. Is there any clearance between the fan and the module or is it squeezed against the memory ? Is the fan with blue LED part of the Armageddon package.
Hank

Score
a b } Memory
a c 148 K Overclocking
April 21, 2011 4:46:05 AM

See this thread ... should sound familiar :) 

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303596-28-flow#t22842...

Quote:
I just bought:

Core i5 2500K cpu

MSI P67A-GD65 mobo

Corsair Vengenace RAM 8GB (4GBx2)

My problem is the RAM is in the way of the Hyper 212 fan.

Memory should be in 2nd and 4th slot from CPU. Vengeance is by no means a low profile set. I have had issues with tall heatsinks in the past. I just installed a Silver Arrow for example and these low profile jobs just fit underneath.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want to be sure of no problems might try one of these:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

It finishes ahead of some notable coolers such as the Megahalems / Super Mega and certainly ahead of the 212.

The Prolimatech Genesis would be a "sure thing" but I haven't seen it in US as yet.

http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=80...
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2011 5:50:48 AM

Hank119 said:
Quote:
Nice picture
It looks from your picture as if the fan is behind the memory module. Is there any clearance between the fan and the module or is it squeezed against the memory ? Is the fan with blue LED part of the Armageddon package.
Hank

There is room for 4 sticks if you want with this cooler...Also the fan that i have on the heatsink is a Gelid Wing UV blue...It's $20 on newegg...the best 140mm fan imo...
Score
April 23, 2011 4:26:42 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
See this thread ... should sound familiar :) 

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303596-28-flow#t22842...

Quote:
I just bought:

Core i5 2500K cpu

MSI P67A-GD65 mobo

Corsair Vengenace RAM 8GB (4GBx2)

My problem is the RAM is in the way of the Hyper 212 fan.

Memory should be in 2nd and 4th slot from CPU. Vengeance is by no means a low profile set. I have had issues with tall heatsinks in the past. I just installed a Silver Arrow for example and these low profile jobs just fit underneath.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want to be sure of no problems might try one of these:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

It finishes ahead of some notable coolers such as the Megahalems / Super Mega and certainly ahead of the 212.

The Prolimatech Genesis would be a "sure thing" but I haven't seen it in US as yet.

http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=80...

Quote:
Jack
Thanks for all the links.I'm not sure that my memory modules placed in slots 2 and 4 would work as dual channel on my motherboard.My motherboard manual is pretty explicit about having a memory module installed in slot 1. Of course, if I have the option of a cooler which permits the installation of four sticks, I'd rather try that. If I can find one , I'll follow bigmac80's suggestion and use the Armageddon. Out of curiosity I'll try switching the memory to slots 2 and 4./quote]
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2011 7:22:26 PM

I tried slot 1 and 2 and they both work for me...In the manual though it says put it in slot 1 so i left it there...i've had my system running for almost 2 months now with no problems in slot 1...
Score
April 24, 2011 2:57:33 AM

Bigmac80 said:
I tried slot 1 and 2 and they both work for me...In the manual though it says put it in slot 1 so i left it there...i've had my system running for almost 2 months now with no problems in slot 1...

Quote:
I have my 8GB of memory in slots 1 and 3 . I'd prefer to keep them there in case I want to add more memory. My system works well but I have not tried overclocking because the stock cooler seems inadequate. I will try to gradually overclock until I hit the limit of the stock cooler. Meanwhile I'm looking at the Armageddon I only have to check out the height to see if it fits in my Antec 300 case without hitting the side wall. Based on your experience it will fit in all other directions on the motherboard.
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2011 7:51:44 AM

Hank119 said:
Quote:
I have my 8GB of memory in slots 1 and 3 . I'd prefer to keep them there in case I want to add more memory. My system works well but I have not tried overclocking because the stock cooler seems inadequate. I will try to gradually overclock until I hit the limit of the stock cooler. Meanwhile I'm looking at the Armageddon I only have to check out the height to see if it fits in my Antec 300 case without hitting the side wall. Based on your experience it will fit in all other directions on the motherboard.

i'll be honest with you, for gaming you don't need to overclock the i5 2500k...i don't even notice the difference between 3.3ghz and 4.2ghz while gaming...but its still nice to have a aftermarket heatsink just to make your cpu run cool...i went back to stock settings on my cpu..i'll overclock it if i need it lol...
Score
April 28, 2011 12:00:40 AM

Bigmac80 said:
i'll be honest with you, for gaming you don't need to overclock the i5 2500k...i don't even notice the difference between 3.3ghz and 4.2ghz while gaming...but its still nice to have a aftermarket heatsink just to make your cpu run cool...i went back to stock settings on my cpu..i'll overclock it if i need it lol...

Quote:
I'm also not looking for extreme overclocking. However, I agree it's nice to be able to stress your CPU without running high temperatures. I ordered the Prolimatech Armageddon from Tiger Direct (currently selling for $39.95 !) The specs for the Gelid fan you're using are really very good. Probably more than enough to do the job. Although the Armageddon can use two fans , a review I read tested the Armageddon and found that the proximity of their rear case fan to the back of the heat sink made a second fan on the heat sink itself unnecessary. Are you using two fans on the heat sink in addition to the rear case fan ? I'm going to order a 140mm Gelid fan from Newegg to try with the Armageddon.
Did you notice high CPU temperatures with the Intel stock cooler while in the BIOS ? After 5 minute in the BIOS I'm up to 70 deg. C. Another reason for an aftermarket cooler! [ /quote]
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 12:36:31 AM

Hank119 said:
Quote:
I'm also not looking for extreme overclocking. However, I agree it's nice to be able to stress your CPU without running high temperatures. I ordered the Prolimatech Armageddon from Tiger Direct (currently selling for $39.95 !) The specs for the Gelid fan you're using are really very good. Probably more than enough to do the job. Although the Armageddon can use two fans , a review I read tested the Armageddon and found that the proximity of their rear case fan to the back of the heat sink made a second fan on the heat sink itself unnecessary. Are you using two fans on the heat sink in addition to the rear case fan ? I'm going to order a 140mm Gelid fan from Newegg to try with the Armageddon.
Did you notice high CPU temperatures with the Intel stock cooler while in the BIOS ? After 5 minute in the BIOS I'm up to 70 deg. C. Another reason for an aftermarket cooler! [ /quote]
Quote:

Yes i am using 2 Gelid 140mm fans in a push pull setup on the Armageddon heatsink...And yes i notice high cpu temps while in bios with the stock heatsink, sometimes even at around 65c with the stock heatsink in bios..But now with the Armageddon heatsink with 2 fans in bios its around 45c...During bios it's actually during load not at idle...My rear exhaust i changed also with a higher cfm fan to keep up with the Gelid 80cfm fan...Im using the Cooler Master Excalibur 85cfm fan...They are kinda loud though lol..If i had fans on top of my case im probably gonna change it to some quiter fans like the Gelid 120mm fans...I'll be getting a new top cover with 2 140mm fans to exhaust hot air out of my case...But you got a really good deal on the Armageddon, i thought i got a good deal on it for $49.99 but for $39.95 that's a steal...Imo it's one of the best air coolers in the market especially with 2 Gelid 140mm 80cfm fans...The Gelid fans are really good and not loud at all, it will make a humming noise though if you add a second fan but you can barely hear it unless you have your ear next to the heatsink...Anyways good luck on the new heatsink, it's really easy to install...Also i did notice a difference in temps with 2 fans installed, atleast a 5c drop in prime 95...
Score
April 29, 2011 7:54:04 PM

I have the same MB and mem as you Hank119 and am having the same problems choosing a CPU cooler.
Having just spent £700+ on a new build, I'm limiting myself on new goodies, or I won't be eating by end of next month, so a full custom water cooling kit is outta the question, although a 24" LCD and SSD will be in the post over next couple of months I'm sure!

Choices are limited to budget of about £50 at the mo and include:

1 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.b (if it'll fit!)
2 - Thermalright MUX-120
3 - ZALMAN CNPS 10X Quiet (adjustable fan rate)
4 - Noctua NH-U12P SE
5 - Antec Kúhler H2O 620 (seems to be best value/performance closed loop system and sure as hell gives me room!)

My main concerns are low volume, moderate to high OC'ing (remembering its a sandybridge, lower heat output, 4.2Ghz is loads) and low price, kinda in that order!

Although as you guys have suggested, I've checked out the Prolimatech units (yummy!), the cost plus fan doesn't quite make it worth while.

Thoughts, recommendations or additions on above list fully welcome.
Score
May 1, 2011 3:38:45 AM

angeld said:
I have the same MB and mem as you Hank119 and am having the same problems choosing a CPU cooler.
Having just spent £700+ on a new build, I'm limiting myself on new goodies, or I won't be eating by end of next month, so a full custom water cooling kit is outta the question, although a 24" LCD and SSD will be in the post over next couple of months I'm sure!

Choices are limited to budget of about £50 at the mo and include:

1 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.b (if it'll fit!)
2 - Thermalright MUX-120
3 - ZALMAN CNPS 10X Quiet (adjustable fan rate)
4 - Noctua NH-U12P SE
5 - Antec Kúhler H2O 620 (seems to be best value/performance closed loop system and sure as hell gives me room!)

My main concerns are low volume, moderate to high OC'ing (remembering its a sandybridge, lower heat output, 4.2Ghz is loads) and low price, kinda in that order!

Although as you guys have suggested, I've checked out the Prolimatech units (yummy!), the cost plus fan doesn't quite make it worth while.

Thoughts, recommendations or additions on above list fully welcome.

Quote:
Angeld,
My most important criterion is does it fit with the Corsair Vengeance memory in slot 1. Obviously the Prolimatech Armaggedon fills the bill(from Bigmac80's photo)
If you want to see some more discussion on this subject including some first hand information on MUX-120 and the Hyper 212, I'd suggest this link within the Tom's Hardware Forums
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/266242-11-cooler-ob....
Score
May 1, 2011 3:40:55 AM

Best answer selected by Hank119.
Score
a c 163 } Memory
a c 291 K Overclocking
May 2, 2011 1:26:40 PM

This topic has been closed by SAINT19
Score
!