SATA III hard drive in SATA II port

kxracer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Hello people!

I just recently got a WD5002AALX Caviar black 500 GB SATA III hard drive. I'm going to connect this to a GA-EP45-UD3P board(only has SATAII support)

The hard drive did not come with a jumper, is it necessary to jumper the hard drive into 3.0gpbs mode for the hard drive to function properly on my board or am I safe to run it without the jumper? If I do need to use a jumper, will a jumper from an older maxtor(circa 2002) IDE hard drive work?

Also the reason I got this new hard drive is because I had to replace an older WD model(WD5001AALS) Hard drive because it had failed. This is the 2nd time my WD hard drive has failed on me in about a 1 year and 10 month span.(thank god for my 2 year instant replacement plan I purchased for 8 bucks :D) I have a p182 case and I mount the hard drives in the bottom cage which mount vertically. I know everyone says it really doesn't matter vertically or horizontally, only if you suddenly change halfway thru it's life(which I havn't). But really, can someone please tell me they have a p182 case and have mounted their hard drives vertically and they're working just fine to ease my mind? :)

Also when monitoring HD temps with Speedfan I saw a max of 45C and that was without using a fan at bottom. The Hard drive usually hovered around 41C-45C after warming up.
Are these temps a little high? or are they ok?

my specs:
Antec P182
GA-EP45-UD3P
E8500 3.16 ghz
Corsair dominator DDR2 1066 mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512 mb
WD5002AALX 500 GB SATA Caviar black
LG DVD Burner

PS. I havn't logged on in here in like forever cuz I didn't realise tomshardware wouldn't allow me to login unless I sent referrer header, it was driving me nuts not knowing why I couldn't login. :lol:

Unless there is a problem in your mobo's chipset or a problem in the drive's firmware, SATA should auto negotiate the speed properly. There should be no need for a jumper.

We have a bunch of servers at work where the drives mount vertically and they have had no problems. The drive orientation should not make a difference.

The 41C - 45C is fine. If you can get them a little cooler, great, but otherwise they are fine.

(1) Vert or Horiz - NO big deal. Many HDDs are purchased and montied Vert in USB enclosures. I have four of which only one is monited Horiz.
(2) Sata 3 HDD are more a market gimic - the only benifit to connecting to SATA 3 is in burst speed. Normal xfer rate is still BELOW sata II specs. (I have the WD 1 TB sata III drive connected to sata III - Should have saved some money and bought some Beer. On Jumper - May or may not need try without. Jumper is only need to FORCE sATA II operation if sata II is not detected. Yes JUmper should fit if needed

(3) mount a front fan - EVERYTHING will be happier!!. My HDDs are around 30 Max. and Heat alway decreases lifespan of most electronics - The only question is how much of a decrease it causes and is it ecceptable.

Sorry for any spelling errors - Half to run - have a scedualled test on a satellite instrument

kxracer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Sorry for not replying sooner, I had trouble logging in again...I think I figured it out this time! lol :lol:

Anyways so far so good with the hard drive, did not need to use a jumper, O/S installed fine and everything is working like clockwork. Reinstalled the bottom fan to the P182 case. I had to remove the fan holder as the PSU cable would touch the fan blade. It gave it enough space but because I had to screw it in, there was slightly more noise from vibrations so I just have the antec tricool fan running on low which is fine and gives me about 35C temperature which is pretty good considering.

Thanks for the reassurances guys! :)