Artefacts Generated by Graphics Card (SCREEN SHOTS)

unrealed99

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
I bought a used Nvidia geforce 250 gts 512mb graphics card and it arrived today but once I plugged it in I immediately noticed strange green and pink pixels on the screen / distortion that appear the whole time. They appear in the boot screen, bios, windows, games... which leads me to believe its not the drivers.

I uninstalled all nvidia drivers and used driver cleaner to get rid of any traces and downloaded the latest ones off the net, but the problem still occurs. If I am on a webpage and I scroll then the green/pink pixels will remain and cause a trail. I can capture these pixels in a screen shot:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn124/ulteriormotive123/screen1.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn124/ulteriormotive123/sad.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn124/ulteriormotive123/screen.jpg

Is the card faulty because of damaged ram? Should I send it back for a refund or can this be fixed?

Thank you for any help,

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009

umm that wasn't very helpful. and rude and offensive that you call ~$100 five dollars, because you know what, not everyone has the money to dish out like you might.

anyways.... have you tried contacting customer service and are u still eligible to get it replaced? also, if you have the opportunity, try sticking it in another computer, i doubt it's ur pc doing the damage but it's always good to isolate your variables

unrealed99

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Thank you uncfan_2563, I put it in another computer and it did the same thing so I contacted the seller and they have issued a refund.

I am going to have to buy the card NEW because then it will have a warranty and eliminates the chances of it being faulty.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
I've experienced two of my videocards going bad and then dead. Unfortunately, they start out the dying process with the problems like in your screenshots. Unless someone else can say they've fixed those artifacts once they start, I'm afraid your videocard is permanently damaged.

Darniaq

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Same thing just started happening to my 8800 GTS (640mb). Still not sure why, though someone recommended I check out the power to the computer and to get an AVR.

In any case, yea, the card is basically hosed. There's no real way to undo this kind of damage as far as I'm concerned. Even if the artifacts go away for a bit, it seems that putting the card under any kind of load will quickly bring them back anyway.

So, time for an upgrade. Which is why I registered :D

unrealed99

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009

could it be related to PSU not delivering enough power or is it definately due to a damaged card? :eek:

brother52

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I've see nthis sort of thing with bad RAM on a card, although it tends to flik around the place not be static in one place.

bhtechmech

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Ive got a GTX 295 just got it and besides the sensor being broke from the start it looks as though i might be dealing with the ram thing because my artifacts are glitchy and black. Tend to occur around text. and they don't happen till my comps been on for a while then bam blue screen crash:) I think my card is a bad apple. What do you think does that sound like graphics related? I reinstalled .net twice did the clean up tool too.

unrealed99

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
I bought another Nvidia geforce 250 gts but this one is a greed edition which is more energy efficient and it doesn't have the artifacts or glitches on it! :D

Possibly it could have been due to my poor quality psu as it wont allow my PC to turn on with an ATI HD4870 inside because it cuts the power immediately.

Although I think it was damaged video ram as the card was used.

bhtechmech

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
yea i know its not my psu. Bought a Corsair 750ht before the card came. So its a good thing they already said theyd replace it bcause of the sensor. Darn technology i miss outhouses and rocking chairs:) oh wait im only 24