Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 1, 2010 11:57:25 AM

Hi All,

Happy New Year!!

Below is the equipment I am trying to connect together:

Netgear wired switch
Netgear WN802T (Access point)
Netgear DGND3300 (ADSL Router)

(Ive no aliance with netgear it just turned out that way...)

I want to connect the wired switch to the WN802T, and wirelessly connect the WN802T to the DGND3300.

Firstly is what I want to do possible with the equipment I have?
It appears the WN802T will only connect directly to a router.
And when I try to connect the WN802T to the DGND3300 it wants to disabled WPA and use WEP? (surely this is pointless as WEP is so easy to hack!)
Im also not 100% sure about the Wireless Bridging and Repeating options, which wireless device needs to do what in netgears terms (Wireless Base Station, Wireless Repeater, Wireless Point to multi point bridge, Repeater without Wireless Client Association)

Many Thanks!

More about : connect wireless access point wireless router wired switch

January 1, 2010 1:06:04 PM

Never mind!

A firmware upgrade of the WN802T makes it easy to connect to the DGND3300.
It adds a new 'Client' option within the Bridging section of the router configuration page.

I highly recommend anyone else with this access point updates the firmware from 2.x to 3.x

The new Client feature adds the following ability which is exactly what I wanted the device for!

Client: Select this option to enable the AP to act as a wireless client. It is used to extend the LAN of those clients that do not have wireless connectivity. This option requires the AP to be rebooted. After rebooting go to the Wireless Settings page to configure settings to connect to the desired AP.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 1, 2010 1:19:47 PM

You need a Wireless Bridge. The WN802T doesn't seem to function as one. Contact Netgear.
Related resources
January 1, 2010 2:03:40 PM

As second post I've sorted it. Firmware upgrade has done the trick.

Thanks!
April 15, 2010 11:15:15 AM

Hey AGTdenton, ive got the same scenario.. only problem is ive got the wn802tv1 and there is no v3 firmware... i just cannot get it to work.. i have the dgnd3300 router too been on the fone for 1hour with netgear even hey couldnt sort it.. any help would be appreciated. thanks
April 15, 2010 6:18:11 PM

waki12 said:
Hey AGTdenton, ive got the same scenario.. only problem is ive got the wn802tv1 and there is no v3 firmware... i just cannot get it to work.. i have the dgnd3300 router too been on the fone for 1hour with netgear even hey couldnt sort it.. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Hi Waki12,

I do indeed have the WN802Tv2 which i should have made clear in my 1st post but it wont allow me to edit the post for some reason.

Anyway it looks as if it is not possible with the v1 which is a shame because its a brilliant access point otherwise.
The last Firmware update for v1 was in Feb '09
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2722

I would suggest making sure you have at least Firmware Version 1.3.18

There is obviously a big difference between v2 and v1.
If you only bought your v1 recently I'd send it back and make sure you get v2.

Sorry I cant be of more help but it appears Netgear pretty much ditched v1.
May 16, 2010 2:19:51 PM

AGTDenton said:
Hi Waki12,

I do indeed have the WN802Tv2 which i should have made clear in my 1st post but it wont allow me to edit the post for some reason.

Anyway it looks as if it is not possible with the v1 which is a shame because its a brilliant access point otherwise.
The last Firmware update for v1 was in Feb '09
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2722

I would suggest making sure you have at least Firmware Version 1.3.18

There is obviously a big difference between v2 and v1.
If you only bought your v1 recently I'd send it back and make sure you get v2.

Sorry I cant be of more help but it appears Netgear pretty much ditched v1.

Hi AGTdenton,
1) So were you able to wirelessly connect the WN802Tv2 to the DGND3000? If so, what were your WDS settings on the DGND3000? Are you able to do WPA/WPA2 security with this setup?

The Netgear forum "gurus" assert no Netgear wireless modem/routers are able to connect wirelessly to the WN802Tv2 and have WPA/WPA2 security. They say you have to buy at least 2 WN802Tv2's and hook one up via ethernet and set the other to WDS wireless pt-2-pt bridging...

My townhouse is 3 floors of double rendered brick and I had a drama a few months ago trying to extend the wireless signal. I ended up buying 3 WN802Tv2's, upgrading the firmware to v3.1.1 and
connecting 1 via ethernet to the dsl modem/router and setting the WDS to wireless multi-pt-2-pt bridging. The other 2 were positioned wirelessly via pt-2-pt bridging.

I now want to connect one of the wireless WN802Tv2's to a wired switch so as to network an A3 laser printer and an MFD, but also keep that AP broadcasting wirelessly to that part of the house.

2) So, am I correct in then understanding you connected the switch to the ethernet plug on the WN802Tv2 by configuring the WN802Tv2 to "client" mode? Are other devices still able to connect wirelessly even with the swith plugged into the ethernet socket of the WN802Tv2 and it set to client?

In short, will connecting the switch kill the wireless on that AP?

Cheers,
Tom Anderson
November 16, 2011 9:20:30 PM

Hi AGTDENTON,

I am trying to do the exact same thing with the same devices. I am struggling. Could you let me know what you set up on both the 802 and the 3300. I have updated the firmware to V3.1.
Many thanks

SteveL
!