Closed

Planning on buying an AMD Phenom II x2 565 Black Edition and Overclocking.

Hello, I'm planning on buying an AMD Phenom II x2 565 Black Edition for my desktop.
My mobo is: N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX and its TDP limit is 95W.
Since this Phenom II among a few others have an 80W, it would fit since I really dont have any more money for a new mobo.
This one in particular runs at 3.4ghz clock speed but I would like to overclock it to either 3.7 or 3.8 ghz. I would really like some assistance.
All I'm trying to do is run pcsx2 and Dolphin emulator at full speed with native resolution. No slow downs. Not really asking for alot and if 3.4 is able to satisfy my needs, I might not overclock but if it dosent. I would like 3.8ghz to be my max. (I think 4.0ghz is overkill for me. :p)
Any help or advice would be appreciated. I'm a newbie at this overclocking thing.
16 answers Last reply
More about planning buying phenom black edition overclocking
  1. Just raise the multiplier in the BIOS. 4.0Ghz is pretty easy for most of the PIIx2 even on the dinky stock heatsink, so don't think it's overkill. What's your graphics card? That might be a limitation. Also if you can, pick up the 555 if you want to shave off a few dollars. The clock differences really don't matter when you overclock.
  2. Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

    Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258573-29-black-edition-overclock-guide-raising-multiplier

    If you need more help, let me know.
  3. therandomuser said:
    Just raise the multiplier in the BIOS. 4.0Ghz is pretty easy for most of the PIIx2 even on the dinky stock heatsink, so don't think it's overkill. What's your graphics card? That might be a limitation. Also if you can, pick up the 555 if you want to shave off a few dollars. The clock differences really don't matter when you overclock.


    Heiya! Thanks for replying. My GPU which I think is pretty decent thought what do I know is an AMD Radeon HD 6450. Currently my pc has a Hexacore AMD Phenom II x6 running at 2.7ghz and if turbo though CPU Z idles between 2.7 and 3.2 and some of my games thought run at times as expected have this annoying slowdowns. Specially Okami.

    Since Ive read the pcsx2 is really CPU intensive and I'm not an HD kinda guy I'm planning on buying the dual core at a higher clock speed and see if I can OC it to optimal conditions. Might actually go forth to 4.0ghz if I got the assistance. Dont wanna fry my new pc! lol
  4. ps1 and ps2 emulators I've noticed you will see a larger increase with setting up your video card instead of cpu since computers already have a faster processor that most systems like those however what they have different is rendering performance designed for it. As long as you meet SSE 1 or SSE 2 for your processor your fine even on a dual core. It's recommended to set Anti-Aliasing to let the application control it and enable triple buffer for Open GL if your running it as windowed instead of full screen to clean up the graphics so you can afford to turn down the settings of the emulator to reduce the strain. A video card with at least 512mb is a requirement for most all. Oh one other tip is turn off anti aliasing from the emulator if you want to see a large increase and turn frame skip to automatic ^.^
  5. Sounds great!!! Definitely but sadly I still keep getting slowdowns. Hopefully by getting this new CPU since my Thuban issint doing so many favors to me,, the combination of my graphic card plus a better clock speed I'll be able to run it in optimal condition but will definitely put in practice what you suggested and see what happens. Thanks!
  6. Count me in suspecting a squeeze from the 6450 -- especially if it is GDDR3.
  7. Wisecracker said:
    Count me in suspecting a squeeze from the 6450 -- especially if it is GDDR3.


    I'm thinking graphics too. Just because it's a 6xxx series, doesn't mean it is better than some of the older cards. Try looking for another video card. I bought my 5770 a month or so ago for $80 AR. The new launches are really driving down prices of the older, but still powerful, cards. Resolution also matters. Find the balance between a big resolution and eye candy. Is the computer hooked up to a TV or large screen?
  8. therandomuser said:
    I'm thinking graphics too. Just because it's a 6xxx series, doesn't mean it is better than some of the older cards. Try looking for another video card. I bought my 5770 a month or so ago for $80 AR. The new launches are really driving down prices of the older, but still powerful, cards. Resolution also matters. Find the balance between a big resolution and eye candy. Is the computer hooked up to a TV or large screen?


    My pc currently is plugged in a 21'' monitor. Not really trying to hit clear as crystal resolution thought. I'm playing windowed in default. 640 selection. And I was considering changing my graphic card but that will have to wait due to I have to change my powersupply. I'm really looking forward in buying the CPU I mentioned before and over clocking it just to be able to play my games as comfrotable as possible. No slow downs. After I have reached that stability, I might venture into a better graphic card and cooling system. Slowly building my knowhow of how to build pc. This one is a prebuilt HP so I cant expect it to be as prepared as I wanted to be.

    And thanks wisecracker for lending in your help!
  9. anybody else here think going from the six core to that 2 core Phenom is a bad solution? Just try to OC the six core and see how high you can get it. And spend the extra cash twards a new gpu that gpu is weak.
  10. cburke82 said:
    anybody else here think going from the six core to that 2 core Phenom is a bad solution? Just try to OC the six core and see how high you can get it. And spend the extra cash twards a new gpu that gpu is weak.


    It really sounds like an oxymoron. lol Sadly my cpu is locked and I have no knowhow on how to overclock my six core. I'm more than willing in learning if possible.
  11. Quote:
    It really sounds like an oxymoron. lol Sadly my cpu is locked and I have no knowhow on how to overclock my six core. I'm more than willing in learning if possible.

    Well here is the deal. If you have a locked cpu you can still overclock with the bus its just a not as easy as changing the multiplier. Now if your bios dose not allow you to change the setting of your CPU it does not matter if your CPU is unlocked or not. Im sure your mobo will support all the CPU's you are looking at but if its a prebuilt system you have im 95% sure your mobo is locked as far as overclocking goes. If you do have a good mobo for overclocking it my have a auto OC function so......

    Could you post your system specs like what mobo you have you power supply and if you dont know all that and have a pre built system just link what pre built you have and ill look it up :).
  12. cburke82 said:
    Well here is the deal. If you have a locked cpu you can still overclock with the bus its just a not as easy as changing the multiplier. Now if your bios dose not allow you to change the setting of your CPU it does not matter if your CPU is unlocked or not. Im sure your mobo will support all the CPU's you are looking at but if its a prebuilt system you have im 95% sure your mobo is locked as far as overclocking goes. If you do have a good mobo for overclocking it my have a auto OC function so......

    Could you post your system specs like what mobo you have you power supply and if you dont know all that and have a pre built system just link what pre built you have and ill look it up :).


    Sure thing! My pc is an
    HP Elite 500y
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1045t 2.7ghz 95w
    Motherboard is: N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX with a 95w limit T_T
    Memory RAM 8GB DDR3 1333
    Graphic Card: AMD Radeon HD 6450

    I think thats all the relevant information. The manufacturer of the mobo is Foxconn but it does not have it posted in its website. The cpu I'm planning on buying is 80w so I think its compatible to my mobo. I really liked the pc and I know its redundant when one can build a much better system by buying the parts but sadly I lack the knowledge to do so and I think its too late for a refund so I got to work with what I got. Cant let it go to waste, ya know?
  13. I have been looking at this AMD OverDrive which supposedly it allows AMD processors to be overcloked from Windows. Is this true and if so, does the motherboard have any say in the overcloking?
  14. Quote:
    I have been looking at this AMD OverDrive which supposedly it allows AMD processors to be overcloked from Windows. Is this true and if so, does the motherboard have any say in the overcloking?


    Sadly (in your case) AOD requires significant BIOS hooks which are most likely unavailable in an OEM system.

    IF your motherboard BIOS allows the unlocked CPU multiplier the PhII X2 would be of great benefit to you (as you suspect). Mine clocks 3.6GHz without a voltage tweak.

    The best place to determine as to whether the unlocked 'BE' multi would be available on your motherboard will probably be the HP forums.
  15. If I did this, I'd go for the 555 and save the extra money. Both should OC the same and the 555 is supposed to have better odds of core unlocking.
  16. This topic has been closed by Saint19
Ask a new question

Read More

AMD Overclocking Phenom