Sign in with
Your question

Building Ultimate $799 gaming rig... can you beat it?

Last response: in Systems
May 31, 2009 9:58:31 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: About 1.5 Months. BUDGET RANGE: $799 or under.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Web Browsing, Video/Photo Editing, Multitasking, Multimedia.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I don't need the OS; I have decided to use my HDTV and old keyboard/mouse, so this is just for the actual computer.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: None. I got all of my parts from Newegg, but I would get parts elsewhere if it means lower prices.

OVERCLOCKING: The CPU for sure; possibly the RAM and graphics. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No preference; my build has Crossfire.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: As said earlier, HDTV (1080p).

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am under-budget by around $60, but I want to fill the void with something. I want opinions + advice as to if the parts I chose are good; I am looking for value and longevity.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE BUILD:

CPU/PROCESSOR: AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Retail, $139.99, Free Shipping, $15.00 Combo Rebate with Motherboard.

CPU/PROCESSOR COOLER: Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - Retail, $39.99, Free Shipping, $25.00 Mail-In Rebate.

GPU/VIDEO CARD: SAPPHIRE 100270SR Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail, $249.99, Free Shipping, $10.00 Mail-In Rebate.

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M4A78 Plus AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail, $79.99, Free Shipping, $15.00 Combo Rebate.

RAM: OCZ Blade Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Retail, $46.99, Free Shipping, $10.00 Mail-In Rebate.

HAND DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM, $69.99, Free Shipping.

CD/DVD DRIVE: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM, $26.99.

CASE: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail, $58.95, Free Shipping.

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail, $94.49, Free Shipping, $20.00 Mail-In Rebate.

SHIPPING: $9.22

COMBO REBATE: -$15.00
MAIL-INS: -$65.00

TOTAL: $740.60

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you think, and, more importantly, what can I do to maximize the value and longevity of the build? I know I have the money to spend, I just don't know where to... the mobo? The processor? The RAM? The case?

Or, perhaps the better question would be: can you beat my build?
May 31, 2009 10:13:42 PM

It's a very efficient build. I have one suggestion and one concern.

First, you need to use 1066 RAM with an AMD CPU. It makes a difference.

How about this? A buck more get's you faster RAM and a bigger, faster drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
The 640GB uses denser (more dense?) 320GB platters, so performs slightly better.

Now for my concern. It's an SB700 board, and will be a bit gimpy and won't OC well.

SB710 better

SB 750 best

-----------------------------
Ideally, you would use an AM3 DDR3 build, because DDR3 will be useful longer and is close in price. I don't really know your budget though, and AM3 boards can be a bit more.
May 31, 2009 10:19:19 PM

I'd change the mb to a 790 series board with 2 x pci-e x 16 slots , and instead of the 4850 x 2 gfx card just use a pair of 4770's in crossfire .
Over all cost will be about the same

EDIT : proximons combo is perfect . It wont matter that one of the pci-e x 16 slots runs at 8x as thats plenty for the 4770
Related resources
May 31, 2009 10:32:58 PM

As long as we are being efficient with the cash, here is another great deal:

Antec 900 and EA650

The EA650 is very similar to the 650TX. It's a bit uglier maybe and the ripple is not quite the same. The Antec 900 comes with all the fans you would have to buy extra for the 300.
May 31, 2009 10:49:15 PM

Proximon: I took your advice for both the HD + RAM combo and the Mobo, they both seem like a no-duh choice. I am looking at your case + psu combo now.

Outlander, as Prox pointed out it is IMPOSSIBLE to get 4770's right now, and that won't change anytime soon. Either way, I chose what I did because I figured the graphics was the best part of the build to put cash into, given it is primarily for gaming.

I will constantly be updating! Thanks to Prox and Outlander thus far.

P.S I will post an updated build in a few hours.
May 31, 2009 11:43:48 PM

Proximon said:
As long as we are being efficient with the cash, here is another great deal:

Antec 900 and EA650

The EA650 is very similar to the 650TX. It's a bit uglier maybe and the ripple is not quite the same. The Antec 900 comes with all the fans you would have to buy extra for the 300.

I would really like to use this, but it would put me overbudget...

I am trying to figure out a way to fit it (or something else) in, though.

*EDIT: What puts me overbudget is the over tripling of the shipping costs, just BTW. I had assumed the case had free shipping; it does not (which is a shame, really.)
June 1, 2009 12:00:50 AM

That quad won't "smoke" a 720 BE - he's going to overclock it. Q8200's are not reputedly great overclockers.

Where did you hear that HDT coolers have issues with tri/quad-cores?
June 1, 2009 12:12:28 AM

2fast4u - I chose the tri-core because of it's OC-ability and it's value. I can OC it to a higher speed than I could the Intel, and it will have lower temps. Also, there arn't any issues with the cooler I chose and the fact that I am putting it on a tri-core processor (that I know of).

Proximon - The shipping! It's +40, not +20 because of the shipping cost, although I agree that it is a better case. I am still looking, including at other websites.

Cpt Deadboots - I agree in that, for gaming, a tri-core 3.2-3.4 OC will fare much better than a 4 core 2.8-3.0 OC.

Thanks to the aforemetioned for posting. Keep the suggestions coming! I will start punching in my second build in 15 mins.

I am posting my build, take 2, at this moment!

The new build is below.
June 1, 2009 12:37:29 AM

THE BUILD, TAKE 2:

CPU/PROCESSOR: AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Retail, $139.99, Free Shipping, $30.00 Combo Rebate with Motherboard.

CPU/PROCESSOR COOLER: Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - Retail, $39.99, Free Shipping, $25.00 Mail-In Rebate.

GPU/VIDEO CARD: SAPPHIRE 100270SR Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail, $249.99, Free Shipping, $10.00 Mail-In Rebate.

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail, $109.99, Free Shipping, $30.00 Combo Rebate.

RAM: OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail, $47.99, Free Shipping, $5.00 Combo Rebate.

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM, $74.99, Free Shipping, $5.00 Combo Rebate.

CD/DVD DRIVE: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM, $26.99.

CASE: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail, $58.95, Free Shipping.

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail, $94.49, Free Shipping, $20.00 Mail-In Rebate.

SHIPPING: $9.21

COMBO REBATE: -$35.00
MAIL-INS: -$55.00

TOTAL: $761.59

I still have $40 to play with... as I said earlier I am looking at some cases to replace the one I have at the moment.

If anyone has any ideas for a different case (or for any part of the build, for that matter), please post them! Thanks, VGM10000.
June 1, 2009 5:11:32 PM

On no! Newegg removed both the mobo/cpu and ram/hd combos!

That's bad news in that although getting the ram and hd only costs $5 more, the mobo/cpu are now $30 more.

Does anyone have anything to replace the cpu and mobo combo in my second build? I am open to other cpus entirely; I just don't want to have to spend more on something that was less a day ago!
June 1, 2009 5:32:41 PM

VGM10000 said:
On no! Newegg removed both the mobo/cpu and ram/hd combos!

That's bad news in that although getting the ram and hd only costs $5 more, the mobo/cpu are now $30 more.

Does anyone have anything to replace the cpu and mobo combo in my second build? I am open to other cpus entirely; I just don't want to have to spend more on something that was less a day ago!

Well, there's your 40$. You could wait and see if they bring that combo back, but I'd stick with that mobo+cpu. I bought them for my build 2 weeks ago and OCing was a snap. Took literally 30 seconds to go from 2.8GHz to 3.6GHz. I'm stepping it up and running stress tests to get higher, but you can't beat that at this price.
June 1, 2009 5:52:39 PM

Wait a day :)  newegg has huge price changes at the start of every month and it takes a while to catch up.
June 1, 2009 6:22:57 PM

Just as an update to everyone:

For now, as drunknmunkys has suggested, I am keeping the build as is, although therefore cutting my excess money to nil. The OC'ing ability of the processor is pretty much too good to pass up w/ the MOBO, and it's nice to have someone with this specific combo have great results (2.8 to 3.6 is crazy good, at least imo, for a budget build).

Hopefully, in the 6ish weeks before I take the plunge, the combos will return, or there will be better options, or both. It doesn't need to be said that things change pretty quickly, and there will be another rotation of deals between June and July. Maybe they will bring back the same deals, or better ones?

I guess I just have to wait and see.

Still, if anyone has a good cpu/mobo/cpu+mobo deal or idea for right now, please post it!

Thanks, VGM10000

*EDIT* Prox has a good point; Newegg is in it's transition phase in terms of combo deals and such... I will wait until tomorrow until considering them final and/or valid.

Also, the good news is that the price of the Antec 900 has gone down $10, so now (assuming the cost of the cpu+mobo doesn't go up much) I can buy it with the combo PSU!
June 1, 2009 6:48:12 PM

drunknmunkys said:
Well, there's your 40$. You could wait and see if they bring that combo back, but I'd stick with that mobo+cpu. I bought them for my build 2 weeks ago and OCing was a snap. Took literally 30 seconds to go from 2.8GHz to 3.6GHz. I'm stepping it up and running stress tests to get higher, but you can't beat that at this price.

If you could post the test results just as a reference, it would be sweet. Thanks - VGM10000
June 1, 2009 6:54:06 PM

VGM10000 said:
If you could post the test results just as a reference, it would be sweet. Thanks - VGM10000

I'll post some CPUz shots when I get home. I didn't even bother stepping up after all the OC reviews I read, went straight to 3.6GHz. I think I'm running stable now at 3.7GHz, but I couldn't get it stable at 3.8GHz with vcore at 1.5+. I'm working on lowering the vcore and upping the FSB to eek out a bit more performance and efficiency.
June 1, 2009 10:02:23 PM

drunknmunkys said:
I'll post some CPUz shots when I get home. I didn't even bother stepping up after all the OC reviews I read, went straight to 3.6GHz. I think I'm running stable now at 3.7GHz, but I couldn't get it stable at 3.8GHz with vcore at 1.5+. I'm working on lowering the vcore and upping the FSB to eek out a bit more performance and efficiency.

Sweet, thanks for sharing. I am happy to see that the processor is a solid choice and a great value! 3.6 is great, but 3.8 would be very, very impressive, let alone a powerhouse.
June 1, 2009 10:06:54 PM

knotknut said:
Antec 900 $89.99...free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx

or with EA 650 $159.98...free shipping

I've already looked at both, and I am happy to see the Antec 900 went down 10% in price. I am probably going to do the combo you mentioned because using the PSU I have posted would cost too much more; the quality of the one in the bundle is pretty good though (Antec Basiq's and other cheap PSUs are awful, but their others are actually quite good).
June 1, 2009 10:45:55 PM

The Antec didn't go down in price, it's being sold off. The 89 dollar deal is today's Shell Shocker, will probably be over or sold out soon.
June 1, 2009 11:29:12 PM

Proximon said:
The Antec didn't go down in price, it's being sold off. The 89 dollar deal is today's Shell Shocker, will probably be over or sold out soon.

Really? Ah well : P

I am going to post a third build later tonight with updated pricing... right now I need to look for a good deal for a ~650W PSU and a CPU, MOBO, or CPU+MOBO combo. (The update to combos + mail-ins made all three more expensive)

*EDIT*: Also, of course, a case.
June 2, 2009 1:19:21 AM

Just a quick update as to what I am currently looking at for my build:

With the Antec 900 + Combo PSU, I have (with the parts chosen in my 2nd build for everything but the mobo+cpu) around $210 to spend on the processor and the motherboard. Choosing this case and PSU is obviously preferable, but if I default to what I have chosen at this moment, I will have around $250 for the motherboard and processor.

Needless to say, it is very tough trying to find the right setup! I was wondering if anyone had some ideas as to what would be a good compromise or a good idea.

Thanks, VGM10000.
June 2, 2009 7:17:33 PM

Just wanted to update you guys on the state of the build...

I am sorry I diddn't post an update yesterday, I had to go to the hospital due to a high fever and an inability to breathe (bronchitis; I should be fine). Needless to say, you can expect me to make a build post in the next few hours.

Also, Newegg's rotation of deals has had both benefits and really bad costs... the MOBO + CPU now cost $30 more, there isn't free shipping on the case in my build (+$20), the PSU went up in price... I am basically rebuilding the whole thing. Thus, if anyone had advice for anything, really, PLEASE post it!

Thanks, VGM10000.
June 2, 2009 7:23:44 PM

post an updated build
June 2, 2009 9:40:40 PM

drunknmunkys said:
post an updated build

Will do!

THE BUILD, TAKE 3:

CPU/PROCESSOR: AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Retail, $139.99, Free Shipping.

CPU/PROCESSOR COOLER: Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - Retail, $31.99, Free Shipping, $10.00 Mail-In Rebate.

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail, $109.99.

RAM: OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail, $60.99, Free Shipping, $20.00 Mail-In Rebate.

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM, $74.99, Free Shipping.

CASE: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail, $58.95.

PSU: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail, $79.99, $20.00 Mail-In Rebate.

SHIPPING: $30.98

MAIL-INS: -$60.00

TOTAL: $799.86

It's a squeaker... 14 cents underbudget! But underbudget nonetheless.

So what do you think? It will probably change... I put this together just trying to get it to fit in my budget.
June 2, 2009 9:52:11 PM

Very similar to what I bought a few weeks ago. I've been more then happy with mine :) 
June 2, 2009 11:11:49 PM

Go for it.

I REALLY, REALLY want a pic of exactly how the cooler fits over the RAM slots. PM me and I'll let you send me a large pic (or several) and I'll host it.
June 3, 2009 12:02:37 AM

It seems like the build is pretty solid, at least from both my point of view and others. There isn't much else to do other than wait until I can order (first week of July) and see if I can make any improvements until then; who knows? Maybe some great deal will pop up.

Thanks goes out to everyone who offered up their expertise; specifically Proximon and drunknmunkys. All of the advice was very helpful.

I will update as I find or bump into better computer parts. By the end of June I expect to make a final thread for last-minute suggestions before I (gladly) take the plunge... and as Prox has requested, I will take pictures and comment as I build, hopefully including benchmarks at the end of it all (THAT will be the best part).

If anyone has suggestions, please post them! I will be checking as often as I have been.

Thanks, once again

VGM10000
June 3, 2009 4:08:39 PM

Just an update:

Right now I am looking at other possible cases... I am not sure I want to stick with the Antec 300 because it isn't a good value choice (basically half my shipping cost is derived from it), and I could theoretically get a "better" case that costs more with free shipping, or, better yet, save money by getting one for the same cost that comes with free shipping.

The only specific case I have run into is the Rosewill Conquerer, which has more fans and looks pretty good. My big concern with it is that installation with it will not be fun.

*EDIT*: The cost of my chosen CPU cooler has gone up, so now I have changed my case to the Rosewill Conquerer as mentioned above (more of a placeholder than anything else at the moment). I now have $9 left in my budget. I will post an updated build soon.
June 3, 2009 4:35:13 PM

VGM10000 said:
Just an update:

Right now I am looking at other possible cases... I am not sure I want to stick with the Antec 300 because it isn't a good value choice (basically half my shipping cost is derived from it), and I could theoretically get a "better" case that costs more with free shipping, or, better yet, save money by getting one for the same cost that comes with free shipping.

The only specific case I have run into is the Rosewill Conquerer, which has more fans and looks pretty good. My big concern with it is that installation with it will not be fun.

Before July one of the better cases will have free shipping again, just wait it out. Buying a case without free shipping is never worth it unless you live in Poland and have no other option.
June 3, 2009 9:49:56 PM

Err, it's likely that this has been covered a million times in other topics, but I'm a first time builder, so I hope I'll get away with asking. Is the Radeon 4850 x2 supposed to fit in an Antec 300? It sure looks to me like it's about an 1/8th of an inch short of working...
June 3, 2009 11:36:23 PM

You can make it work, but that's the main reason Cooler Master cases get recommended. They are deeper and handle the long cards better.
June 3, 2009 11:36:48 PM

andrewshenk said:
Err, it's likely that this has been covered a million times in other topics, but I'm a first time builder, so I hope I'll get away with asking. Is the Radeon 4860 x2 supposed to fit in an Antec 300? It sure looks to me like it's about an 1/8th of an inch short of working...

A little pissed about this build at the moment.

You are mad about my build?

It is very probable that I will have to take some tin cutters to the HD trays, and do a little "trimming" (The initial plan was to get a case with removeable HD cages like the Antec 900). That doesn't really matter too much because I only have 1 HD, and expect to put in only 1 more at the most. Thus, it isn't really that much of an issue either way.
June 3, 2009 11:38:41 PM

Proximon said:
You can make it work, but that's the main reason Cooler Master cases get recommended. They are deeper and handle the long cards better.

Nice to know. I am looking at cases right now... will update pretty soon. I guess I will be looking at CM.
June 3, 2009 11:41:02 PM

I was angry because the minute I tried to put the 4850 into the case, it wouldn't quite fit in. However, after a little rejiggering of the motherboard, I've managed to just barely stick it in there. It's extremely tight, but it worked without any "trimming."
June 4, 2009 4:02:28 AM

andrewshenk said:
I was angry because the minute I tried to put the 4850 into the case, it wouldn't quite fit in. However, after a little rejiggering of the motherboard, I've managed to just barely stick it in there. It's extremely tight, but it worked without any "trimming."

OH! You actually had the card + mobo, like I do in the build.

Well, I diddn't expect it to fit in, but it seems like you found a slightly better solution (I hope by "little rejiggering" you don't mean bending the mobo, case or video card). I am actually surprised it fits in an Antec 300... plesantly surprised.

I will have a fresh new build tomorrow morning. Goodnight.

VGM10000
June 4, 2009 2:08:43 PM

THE BUILD, TAKE 4:

CPU/PROCESSOR: AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Retail, $139.99, Free Shipping.

CPU/PROCESSOR COOLER: Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - Retail, $31.99, Free Shipping, $10.00 Mail-In Rebate.

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail, $109.99.

RAM: OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail, $60.99, Free Shipping, $20.00 Mail-In Rebate.

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM, $74.99, Free Shipping.

CASE: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail, $59.99, Free Shipping, $10.00 Mail-In Rebate.

PSU: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail, $79.99, $20.00 Mail-In Rebate.

SHIPPING: $15.79

MAIL-INS: -$70.00

TOTAL: $783.21

I am now underbudget by about $16. I would prefer a different case though... I am hoping a good one comes up at a good price, because I wouldn't exactly be excited to get this one in the mail. I chose it, though, because it's a complete steal at the price, AND comes with Free Shipping, which is a plus for a 15-20 pound object.

June 4, 2009 6:26:01 PM

drunknmunkys said:
you could always go up to a COOLER MASTER Mystique

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or just wait for the antec 900 to have free shipping again.

I hope the Antec will have free shipping soon.... the mystique looks great, except for the fact that a 4850 x2 would never fit in there (let alone most other cases, I know). I could see using it though... Thanks for the reccomendation.
June 5, 2009 1:56:14 AM

Just a random question: what thermal compound do you guys use (for the CPU cooler)? Just wondering... I have used Arctic Silver and Turniq's TX-2, and both seemed to get the job done. I am probably going to use TX-2 for this job.
June 5, 2009 2:02:53 AM

VGM10000 said:
Just a random question: what thermal compound do you guys use (for the CPU cooler)? Just wondering... I have used Arctic Silver and Turniq's TX-2, and both seemed to get the job done. I am probably going to use TX-2 for this job.

either one will suffice
June 5, 2009 3:00:06 AM

Speaking of thermal compounds...

I am thinking of changing the CPU cooler only because it is $10 more now, and I chose it only because it was a steal at the price before. I have room in my budget to upgrade, or at least change it. Any recommendations?
June 5, 2009 3:06:42 AM

I am also looking at this MOBO... in a combo with the cpu it is the same cost as the mobo I have chosen now, but seems to be the better choice (not to mention it has DDR3 support). I currently have this MOBO, and I am looking at this one.
June 5, 2009 3:40:11 AM

Schythe Mugen 2 or Xigmatek Dark Knight for CPU cooler.

That mobo is fine if you want to go DDR3.
June 9, 2009 11:43:58 AM

drunknmunkys said:
Schythe Mugen 2 or Xigmatek Dark Knight for CPU cooler.

That mobo is fine if you want to go DDR3.

go for xigmatek, it is slightly silent
!