Questions about AM3 and DDR3?

G

So basically I want to know whats the differences between both the AM2+ and AM3 socket as well as the DDR2 and DDR3 Memory. Also is it worth switching over to the newer tech even if you already have AM2+ Socket (that I'll put a Phenom II X4 940 on) and should I switch over from my current Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800Mhz?

AM3 offers higher HT link speeds as well as more RAM bandwidth. The improvement isn't huge though, but rather like 5% depending on the scenario. Certainly not worth the cost of a new board. Anyway AM3 CPUs will continue to work in AM2+ boards (with appropriate updates) for a while. AMD will apparently be putting out 6-core CPUs in the Spring of next year as it seems they can't really wait for Bulldozer to be ready. Anyway those 6-core CPUs will probably still work in AM2+ boards, assuming appropriate BIOS updates, but we'll see.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Performance really isn't that much different. As already mentioned, the AM3 HT link speed is faster (4000 MHz vs. 2600 MHz for AM2+). The AM3 processors generally have more L2 cache as well. In regards to RAM, DDR2 in general has slower refresh rates but lower latency as opposed to DDR3. When you do the math and work out all the timings of the latency and refreshes, DDR3 provides better performance overall. But again, if you already have AM2+, I would wait until a normal system rebuild to buy an AM3 motherboard and DDR3 RAM. You could purchase an AM3 CPU sooner, as they will work in virtually all AM2+ motherboards.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Just don't ever ever try to stick a AM2+ Phenom II (or any AM2+,AM2 CPU) in a AM3 motherboard.They are not pin compatible.Yet on the ASUS part of Tom's Hardware forum I had already seen one individual who made that tragic mistake about a month ago.He most likely ruined his AM2+ CPU and may or may not have ruined his expensive AM3 based ASUS motherboard.If you have a AM2+ based Phenom II 940 just use an AM2+ motherboard.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CPU-6-socket-am2-plus-phenom-ii-compatibility-alert.aspx

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

Thanks for adding; I should have made that clearer.