rgbm3

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
I installed windows 7 64 bit pro over vista 64bit that came with the machine. I want to download the Gateway bios update for the i7 fx6800-01e but they say its for vista 64, no mention of windows 7 64. is it safe to use this bios with windows 7 64?

G

Oh what the Hell..... :)

You posted the same question to the Gateway FX 6800-01e BIOS Update from Gateway Unsupported thread and I answered it there earlier which is why I didn't reply here.

Plus, I hadn't noticed this thread at the time until after the fact.

But needless to say, the BIOS update is has nothing to do with the Operating System other than the fact that the Updater needs to be run from Windows or a Command Prompt in Windows.

-

I can see why you might ask such a question though as some manufacturers try to make the BIOS updater fool proof by having it check to see if the system meets operating system requirements (to run the updater), but they fail to take into consideration future Windows releases.

As such, you would get an error message saying that your system does not meet basic requirements. Then the updater would exit without updating.

I have seen this with Compaq systems which are made by HP.

rgbm3

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
"You posted the same question ..."
Sorry, a newbie move.

"I can see why you might ask such a question ..."

I have spent so much time in my life dealing with computers and what should be a simple task only to find it ain't.
I was feeling vulnerable after being crushed (and confused) by Apple (again) for not supporting Snow Leopard 64bit kernel on my mac book pro which has efi64 (why o why). I was depressed because Parallels destroyed my bootcamp Vista partition.
I was also bummed out because Windows 7 XPMode requires me to reboot my machine constantly etc. etc. etc.
It seems nothing works when it should.

So I decided to ask before moving forward.
I have my confidence back.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

rgbm3 :)

Btw. Please excuse my dry humor.

G

No Problem :D

I just figured I may as well post to this thread as well, both for your benefit and for anyone else who may have the same question.

Very understandable Dry Humor :)